The Student Room Group

Please help with this 20 mark sociology essay

Applying material from Item B and your knowledge, evaluate the view that media representations of different social groups may promote a dominant ideology that justifies existing patterns of social inequality.

Item B:
The media provide a range of stereotypical representations of social groups. Based on characteristics such as their gender or social class. For example, working class people are often represented in ways that devalue them relative to the middle class. Marxists suggest such stereotypical representations reflect the interests of the powerful, and promote a dominant ideology that justifies existing patterns of social inequality.

I just don't understand how to start it and what points I would need to include. If you could give me some pointers in what to include, it'll be great!
Haven't done sociology A-level for a long time, but I did get A* in it and I did a module at undergraduate. But general rule of thumb for essays:

Definitions
Theories

Problems with those theories

Alternative theories

Conclusion - perhaps with final remarks on application or consequences to society *

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending