The Student Room Group

Self-pity is the most important emotion

I heard a definition of Depression whereby the depressed have lost the ability to pity themselves. This seems accurate, but the question is, how do you get that self-pity back? Is it possible?
Reply 1
Original post by Mistletoe
I heard a definition of Depression whereby the depressed have lost the ability to pity themselves. This seems accurate, but the question is, how do you get that self-pity back? Is it possible?

You feel as though people with depression have lost the ability to pity themselves? :holmes:
What does self pity achieve?
Reply 3
Original post by Zargabaath
What does self pity achieve?

It achieves self-soothing. De-stressing, eventually.

Original post by Deyesy
You feel as though people with depression have lost the ability to pity themselves? :holmes:

Yes, and the reason is because they hate themselves.
Reply 4

Yes, and the reason is because they hate themselves.

Surely if you hate yourself; that is in itself a form of self-pity? :holmes:

To an extent I agree, but when it overwhelms you to the point you aren't doing anything but self pitying, i think it's quite damaging and certainly not helpful.

But yes, i also understand that that mindset isn't a conscious choice someone makes
Reply 6
Original post by Deyesy
Surely if you hate yourself; that is in itself a form of self-pity?
No, because the Depressed do not feel they deserve pity when actually they deserve it the most. It is only normal undepressed people who will automatically feel a sense of self-pity when they get an incling of self-hatred. That self-pity cures their self-hatred for that moment. But like I said, depressed people have an infinite self-hatred, usually because of circumstances they have created in their mind. They feel trapped emotionally, perhaps there is reason for it, but they haven't been able to do the calculations that would enable them to escape from their mental trap.

Original post by Zargabaath
To an extent I agree, but when it overwhelms you to the point you aren't doing anything but self pitying, i think it's quite damaging and certainly not helpful.

But yes, i also understand that that mindset isn't a conscious choice someone makes

Many people who come to TSR are on their way to becoming depressed. The self-pity you witness is them trying to hold onto sanity for as long as possible.
(edited 7 years ago)

Many people who come to TSR are on their way to becoming depressed. The self-pity you witness is them trying to hold onto sanity for as long as possible.

I see the self pity as a trap, a mindset poeple fall into and can't get out from. It just gets worse until you make an active effort to fix things
Reply 8
No, because the Depressed do not feel they deserve pity when actually they deserve it the most. It is only normal undepressed people who will automatically feel a sense of self-pity when they get an incling of self-hatred. That self-pity cures their self-hatred for that moment. But like I said, depressed people have an infinite self-hatred, usually because of circumstances they have created in their mind. They feel trapped emotionally, perhaps there is reason for it, but they haven't been able to do the calculations that would enable them to escape from their mental trap.

Self-pity cures their self-hatred for that moment? For me self-pity makes any self-hatred worse and things 'outside' of my mind can make things better/worse. You seem to be trying to simplify something which isn't simple :/

You've just inferred that people with depression aren't sane when infact many people with the illness lead absolutely normal lives. It's quite a dangerous statement to make imho.
the OP makes more sense if "self pity" is replaced by "self esteem".

Quick Reply

Latest