Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

I dont understand a question

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  502.1 KBThe question says a homozygous red flowered plant was crossed with a homzygous white flowered plant. All the flowers of the offspring were purple. What was the gentoype of the red flowered parent? I put AB and then the next question asks whats the genotype of the white flowered parent? I put aa but I dont think their right is codominance involved.

Then another question says: The purple flowered offspring were crossed. What phenotypic ratio would you expect in the next generation. Use a genetic diagram to explain your answer.
    I think codominance is involved so I tried to put that in the diagram but it doesnt look right so I'm not sure and someone help me please.
    Attached Images

Oops sorry about the so many attachments it didnt show up before so I did it a bunch of times but it still didnt show up then I just typed up the question but now it shows up once I sent it.

So the key thing you've missed here is that it says the different genes are on different chromosomes, so the genotype for each plant is going to need 2 pairs of letters, so the red flower will have the genotype AA bb and the white flower will have aa BB (remember that the B allele only works on the red pigment, so the flower will still be colourless because there is no A allele). A purple flower will then need to have either a Aa Bb or AA BB genotype. So you need to draw a couple of punnet squares, the first one will be AA crossing with aa, which gives you 100% Aa genotype in the offspring, and the second cross will be bb crossing with BB, which gives you a 100% Bb genotype. So the purple flowers all have the genotype Aa Bb, if you cross them with eachother, you will cross Aa with Aa which gives 25% AA, 50% Aa and 25% aa, and then Bb with Bb will again give 25% BB, 50% Bb and 25% bb, so you would have thought that 75% of the offspring are purple and 25% are white.

That's probably not right actually haha, maybe someone else can correct me if I'm wrong

Thank you
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 11, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.