The Student Room Group

TMUA Preparation

Hi,

Is anyone else on here sitting the TMUA (Test for Mathematics Unviersity Admissions). Durham, Lancaster and LSE will all be using it for 2017 entry.

I quite like the style of the test, especially the second paper. How is everyone preparing for it? Anything besides working on the Specimen Paper?

‘Please do not discuss the test until the start of December. There are people still due to take it.’

What you can and can't discuss about this exam

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sammygmfc
Hi,

Is anyone else on here sitting the TMUA (Test for Mathematics Unviersity Admissions). Durham, Lancaster and LSE will all be using it for 2017 entry.

I quite like the style of the test, especially the second paper. How is everyone preparing for it? Anything besides working on the Specimen Paper?

Tbh I am pretty chilled about it. I have done some MAT papers to prep for it and some maths challenge. I recently did the specimen papers and got 37/40 over the two papers so I am happy atm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cryptokyo
Tbh I am pretty chilled about it. I have done some MAT papers to prep for it and some maths challenge. I recently did the specimen papers and got 37/40 over the two papers so I am happy atm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was that in timed conditions? Dont mean to be rude haha just want to know where i stand compared to everyone else considering theres no grades or grade boundaries??
Original post by Superdrift987
Was that in timed conditions? Dont mean to be rude haha just want to know where i stand compared to everyone else considering theres no grades or grade boundaries??

Timed conditions. How did you do XD?
(edited 7 years ago)
Timed conditions. How did you do XD?

Ive only done the first specimen paper and got 7 out of 20 but i ended spending more time on the earlier questions and wasting time tbf. I think though it tests to see if you can see shortcuts almost and your intuition.
Ive only done the first specimen paper and got 7 out of 20 but i ended spending more time on the earlier questions and wasting time tbf. I think though it tests to see if you can see shortcuts almost and your intuition.

Have you looked at the enhanced specification? I found it particularly useful for paper 2.
Have you looked at the enhanced specification? I found it particularly useful for paper 2.

I have had a quick look but not had chance to properly read through it yet. What i did read though was interesting. What did you study at as and your grades too if thats alright??
I have had a quick look but not had chance to properly read through it yet. What i did read though was interesting. What did you study at as and your grades too if thats alright??

Sorry for late reply - was doing maths :biggrin:.
AS Grades: AAAAA (Maths[98%], Further Maths[98%], Physics, Chemistry and Electronics[99%]) and did (M2, M3 and M4 on top of this)
Predicted at A2: A*A*A*A*A* (Maths, Further Maths, Additional Further Maths, Physics and Electronics)
(edited 7 years ago)
Sorry for late reply - was doing maths :biggrin:.
AS Grades: AAAAA (Maths[98%], Further Maths[98%], Physics, Chemistry and Electronics[99%]) and did (M2, M3 and M4 on top of this)
Predicted at A2: A*A*A*A*A* (Maths, Further Maths, Additional Further Maths, Physics and Electronics)

Nice man thats awesome haha explains how you did so well!!

crying with laughter
Original post by richardhello
crying with laughter

Just giving out advice...
Just giving out advice...

A zombie army of spec babies

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey I was wondering if you could help me with q19 on paper 1? I can't get it and would appreciate any help :smile:
Original post by cmckinley039
Hey I was wondering if you could help me with q19 on paper 1? I can't get it and would appreciate any help :smile:

We know that u1=4,u2=4randu4=4r3u_{1}=4, \enspace u_{2} = 4r \enspace \text{and} \enspace u_{4}=4r^{3}. And that, as they form an arithmetic series, 4r34r=4r44r^{3}-4r=4r-4. Hence we obtain the equation r32r+1=0r^{3}-2r+1=0.

Now, r=1r=1 is a trivial solution to this cubic. Then we obtain r32r+1=(r1)(r2+r1)=0r^{3}-2r+1=(r-1)(r^{2}+r-1)=0

Solving for rr gives r=512r=\frac{\sqrt{5}-1}{2}

Subbing this into S=41rS_{\infty}=\frac{4}{1-r} gives S=2(3+5)S_{\infty}=2(3+\sqrt{5}).

Hope this helps:smile:
We know that u1=4,u2=4randu4=4r3u_{1}=4, \enspace u_{2} = 4r \enspace \text{and} \enspace u_{4}=4r^{3}. And that, as they form an arithmetic series, 4r34r=4r44r^{3}-4r=4r-4. Hence we obtain the equation r32r+1=0r^{3}-2r+1=0.

Now, r=1r=1 is a trivial solution to this cubic. Then we obtain r32r+1=(r1)(r2+r1)=0r^{3}-2r+1=(r-1)(r^{2}+r-1)=0

Solving for rr gives r=512r=\frac{\sqrt{5}-1}{2}

Subbing this into S=41rS_{\infty}=\frac{4}{1-r} gives S=2(3+5)S_{\infty}=2(3+\sqrt{5}).

Hope this helps:smile:

It really does :smile: Thank you so much!
Original post by cmckinley039
It really does :smile: Thank you so much!

No problem.
Hey I was just wondering if you could help with question 18 of paper 1.
Would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Original post by wizard999
Hey I was just wondering if you could help with question 18 of paper 1.

Would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Hey :smile:
Hope this helps and it's not all gibberish

So first I looked at the tan equation

I sketched a graph and found that this is satisfied when

However as the range is
the interval where tanx is less than 1 is when
so the length of that interval is simply

Then I looked at

this occurs when (30 degrees) therefore

Now all you have to do is find the area where both of these equations are satisfied which will be the interval between and
If it helps draw these points onto one of the sketched graphs like sine and you'll be able to see the interval you need to find.

And finally
(edited 7 years ago)
What about question 20 from paper 1?
Original post by sammygmfc
Hi,

I haven't done no where near half as much as I have wanted to. Didn't know TSR peeps would be doing this since it's always MAT hype.
I'm using it for Durham but I prefer Lancaster now.
Basically read the spec....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending