Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

In a Relationship but like someone else?

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

Hi. I'm Adam, I'm 18 and been with my girlfriend (17) for over a month now. However, I've eventually grown to like someone else who I've known for quite a while now whereas my girlfriend I've only known for under 2 months. I've been happy with my relationship but as I've progressed I've started to see the parts of the relationship which don't work out quite so well.

She seems very negative about herself a lot of the time, she acts immature sometimes and she seems a bit clingy. Another thing is that she also says that she's been diagnosed with depression and anxiety and says she has panic attacks but other people who know her and know me say different things. Being the person I am I want to help her with it by being there, but the thing is I'm not always going to be there for her especially since she goes to a different school and I also have other commitments. I just worry that I'm going to hurt her or even worse take advantage of her over time without even realising it and that's not a healthy relationship.

The other girl who I have feelings for goes to my school and I seem to hang with her a lot more than I do with my girlfriend with the addition that I've known her since the start of Year 12 through into Year 13 and she lives in the same town as me. What I like about her is that she's independent, mature, knows what she wants to do, and is comfortable around me as well and someone I could visualise having a long term relationship with. They seem to be qualities that I find myself attracted towards more than I do with my current girlfriend and I just don't know how it makes sense that I've had feelings for this other girl but I've got with a girl who I've only known for under 2 months and got together a week after we'd been talking. (I met her on this programme called NCS, not sure if you'd know what that is).

I just need someones help deciding where I'm going to go with this because I'm not sure whether to stay with my current relationship and see how it works out for a while but keep letting those feelings come up or walk away from it and take the risk of seeing if anything could happen with the other girl and if it doesn't then find someone else?
    Thank you.

Well the fact that you are doubting your current relationship after a month shows you may not be fully on board with it. The worst thing you could do is string it out and make her feel like you want her, when you may not. Not only would it make her feel bad but you might feel guilty yourself.

As its a relatively new relationship, you're still able to break it off. If you left it longer, feelings might develop and it'll only make it harder for you to end it.

As you are already considering a relationship with this other girl, I'd say break off your current relationship now. Mainly because the chances of these feeling for the other girl subsiding are not likely.

Hope this helps, feel free to reply and I'll answer the best I can ^_^

End it, sensitively, immediately
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.