The Student Room Group

Question for Physics graduates and physics students

Okay so I do enjoy physics let me cut that short and save you thr cliche
Recently alot of people having been telling me that I won't find jobs and even so a lot of people on the net giving advice syaing there's not much prospect for it and it's Better I just become an engineer now I don't really hate engineering I think that would be ok too but I've read so much into my course for physics that I don't think switching now is a good idea as I have my Oxford application deadline as well as the other unis.
Even my mum said wouldn't it be better as an engineer however I'm lucky they're supporting me no matter what I choose.
I'm really stuck and I want to know from
Graduates or students what got you past this fear? And if you're working somewhere after your physics degree please let me know
I really do not want to be in my 20s u employed or working a really low salary job
Please help
You can easily go into engineering with a physics degree. Physics offers plenty of flexibility in career choice. Take a look at this for some of the possibilities:

http://www.iop.org/careers/undergrad--postgrad/your-future/page_64487.html
Reply 2
There's an assumption under this that's making you think that a degree gets you a (good) job. No degree gets you a job nowadays (expect medicine but that's not the same). It's the skills you have that matter to employers.
If you enjoy aspects of physics but the job prospects of engineering, you may want to consider engineering mathematics which combines areas of physics, maths and engineering. I am myself a recent physics graduate and have transitioned to a PhD in Engineering Mathematics with no problems so I wouldn't be too worried about blocking off any career path at this point. A physics degree would also set you up well, I know no one who has really struggled to find work after graduating with one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending