The Student Room Group

Design Engineering Personal Statement

All of the courses I'm applying to are design engineering or similar (like Product Design Engineering). I'm applying to Imperial, Bath, Bristol, Loughborough and Glasgow. It's hard to find examples of personal statements for design engineering and since the course is relatively new in most unis I'm not sure what they are looking for. Is it more art/creative/design based or more similar to mechanical/civil engineering?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dana.Ab
All of the courses I'm applying to are design engineering or similar (like Product Design Engineering). I'm applying to Imperial, Bath, Bristol, Loughborough and Glasgow. It's hard to find examples of personal statements for design engineering and since the course is relatively new in most unis I'm not sure what they are looking for. Is it more art/creative/design based or more similar to mechanical/civil engineering?
I did my first draft and I talk about inventions and technologies that have come out recently, like holograms and that kind of thing. Is that relevant to design engineering or more like electronic engineering and such? What other things could I mention for design engineering? Thank you!

Your PS should consist of why you want to study the course and why you are suited for it. It doesn't have to be a literary masterpiece, nor does it need to be devoid of cliches. I can't really see why liking to design things, an interest in new technology or inventions is not a suitable for a PS, for any kind of engineering.

Is what you have written more relevant to design engineering or electronic engineering? Both. A lot of graduates from all engineering disciplines will go on to become "design engineers" - it's a key role within engineering.
Reply 2
Hey, have you heard back from Imperial, Bath or Loughborough yet from design engineering? (I have applied here as well for these courses)
Reply 3
Original post by Immyx23
Hey, have you heard back from Imperial, Bath or Loughborough yet from design engineering? (I have applied here as well for these courses)

Not yet, have you? I'm getting really nervous but I think we won't get any replies until after the 15th of Jan. I haven't heard of anyone with an interview/offer for design engineering yet, if that helps.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi, I'm looking at product design too and will apply to Loughborough, Nottingham, man met and Nottingham Trent. Which product design course have you applied for at Loughborough, BSc or BEng? I don't know which one to go for! The BSc also requires a portfolio!?
Reply 5
Original post by rndmtngr99
Hi, I'm looking at product design too and will apply to Loughborough, Nottingham, man met and Nottingham Trent. Which product design course have you applied for at Loughborough, BSc or BEng? I don't know which one to go for! The BSc also requires a portfolio!?

MEng actually. For engineering I don't think you don't need a portfolio. I don't know for BSc though, they probably say it on their website.
Lemme join this thread too, I'm another applicant for Imperial's course
I put down about what I learnt outside of school :redface:)
Reply 7
I applied for the MEng at lough :smile: you have to put together a portfolio for the BSc though but not for BEng or MEng
Reply 8
I was offered an interview today at imperial!! :smile: also I have an interview from Loughborough as well but still nothing from Bath :smile:
I applied to Loughborough, Bath, Bristol and Imperial for Design engineering courses. Currently received responses from Loughborough and Imperial. Going to Loughborough interview tomorrow!
Reply 10
Original post by Mozzamanpapi
I applied to Loughborough, Bath, Bristol and Imperial for Design engineering courses. Currently received responses from Loughborough and Imperial. Going to Loughborough interview tomorrow!

Congratulations! Best of luck tomorrow. What A levels do you do if you don't mind me asking?
I'm studying Maths, Further maths, Physics and BTEC IT. I'm also planning to do my EPQ this year!

Good luck!! Please share how it went as I'll be going to lboro for an interview probably!
I completely forgot to respond. The interview didn't seem to go amazing at the time, but I ended up getting an offer! They just asked simple questions about the course and my personal statement, although I didn't really seem to reply confidently to most of them
I completely forgot to respond. The interview didn't seem to go amazing at the time, but I ended up getting an offer! They just asked simple questions about the course and my personal statement, although I didn't really seem to reply confidently to most of them

Congratulations! :h:

71% of applicants get an offer - http://university.which.co.uk/loughborough-university-l79/product-design-engineering-5-years-9000-hhd7

It's likely that for Loughborough the interview isn't really selective (except to check that you understand enough about what you've applied for to make an informed decision) and is more an opportunity to sell the course and the university to you in person.
Original post by Immyx23
I was offered an interview today at imperial!! :smile: also I have an interview from Loughborough as well but still nothing from Bath :smile:

How was the Imperial Interview? Did they ask you about your personal statement or design engineering in general? Did you have to do any sketching or just math and physics questions?
Original post by PQ
71% of applicants get an offer - http://university.which.co.uk/loughborough-university-l79/product-design-engineering-5-years-9000-hhd7

It's likely that for Loughborough the interview isn't really selective (except to check that you understand enough about what you've applied for to make an informed decision) and is more an opportunity to sell the course and the university to you in person.

Just to clarify - it is part of the selection process and to see if they think you will enjoy studying here. That's why not everyone will get an offer after interview.

Vicky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending