The Student Room Group

I'm rubbish in seminars

I'm in final year of an arts degree and whilst I have been getting a range of firsts and 2.1s on my assignments so far I really struggle to speak up in seminars. I can't think on my feet whereas the majority of people on my course can. I end up looking dumb and there's literally nothing I can do to try and stop this - any time that I do speak up I'm wrong and then feel embarrassed. I need to mull over something for a while or most times a lot of ideas come to when I'm writing my assignment.

Is anyone else like this?
Reply 1
I am the same. I hate talking in seminars and tutorials, because I feel like everything that comes out of my mouth is dumb. :redface:
Are people marked or graded on how they are in seminars?
Original post by markova21
Are people marked or graded on how they are in seminars?

No, lucky for me :redface:
Reply 4
Being wrong is a learning experience. You're going to be wrong quite often in your life and this is a good way of learning that a) it isn't fatal and b) when you pay attention you can take something positive from it. Being corrected is absolutely fine. It's a useful way of learning new things.

I'm a Research Assistant (amongst other things) and I'm still wrong about stuff reasonably often. It's OK. Still alive, still earning, still having a good time.
I relate 100% with you! All my assignments are group based which makes it difficult. I'd much rather work individually as it gives me time to think.
Original post by peanutbuttercup
I'm in final year of an arts degree and whilst I have been getting a range of firsts and 2.1s on my assignments so far I really struggle to speak up in seminars. I can't think on my feet whereas the majority of people on my course can. I end up looking dumb and there's literally nothing I can do to try and stop this - any time that I do speak up I'm wrong and then feel embarrassed. I need to mull over something for a while or most times a lot of ideas come to when I'm writing my assignment.

Is anyone else like this?

Hello :smile:,

Don't panic yourself - a lot of people are like that. You don't have to speak up in lectures - of course it's desirable if you can and it gives you a sense of accomplishment if you contribute towards a seminar but if you don't - no problem. Some students are the kind that listen and then have reflection time and then reflect their knowledge and understanding in their assignments and assessments. Don't panic yourself and don't compare yourself to others!

Good luck :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
You don't have to speak up in lectures

Seminars are different to lectures though - they're a more interactive discussion group.

I run an undergrad seminar once a year. Whilst it's more useful if everyone contributes, I do recognise that many people don't feel comfortable with the format. I try to give everyone the opportunity to speak if they want to, but I won't push the issue if someone obviously doesn't want to do more than follow the discussion. Overall, I'd rather they were there and just listening, than staying away because they're too nervous to speak and then potentially missing out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending