The Student Room Group

Not enjoying myself at Uni, need advice

I've only been at University for three weeks and I'm already feeling a bit miserable. This isn't something I've just been feeling today, but something I've felt for the last two weeks on and off.

How can I improve my experience? I'm getting out quite a bit, I'm social etc, but I'm pretty bored of my flatmates already, my course mates are good, but live quite far away and generally right now I'm waking up everyday a bit unhappy.

In terms of my actual course I'm coping fine and I don't feel homesick so I don't know why I feel so s***, I just do and it's really affecting my experience.
Yeah I feel pretty similar. I've thrown myself into a fair bit, went out the majority of days in Freshers week, play football, spoke to people on my course who are alright but my flat mates are the problem. I don't really click with any of them even though I can 'talk to them', none of them are really like myself so it's difficult.

We all went shopping last week and I felt as awkward as anything, had absolutely nothing to say to any of them and it dawned on me that I just don't like them. People on my course seem alright but like you they are in different halls.

I know how you feel anyway, that's what I'm trying to get across I guess.
Original post by Hep Guardiola
I've only been at University for three weeks and I'm already feeling a bit miserable. This isn't something I've just been feeling today, but something I've felt for the last two weeks on and off.

How can I improve my experience? I'm getting out quite a bit, I'm social etc, but I'm pretty bored of my flatmates already, my course mates are good, but live quite far away and generally right now I'm waking up everyday a bit unhappy.

In terms of my actual course I'm coping fine and I don't feel homesick so I don't know why I feel so s***, I just do and it's really affecting my experience.

Thus is why I think hall is better as you cna afford not to get on with some people because there are hundreds of others. Its very hit or miss with flats.

You are doing well in not homescik and you have your course under control.

I guess you need to netwrok a bit more and focus on building your social round friends at uni, course and societies. Its not all bad though boring is much better than nightmare or miserable, as some people are unlucky enough to find.

Maybe you cna look into doing an exchange with Uni accomm orjust finding a replacement so you cna move out into the private sector?

Also kee an eye on thinking about potential places to live next year and flatmates you get on with.
That definitely makes sense!
Original post by Brwned
Yeah I feel pretty similar. I've thrown myself into a fair bit, went out the majority of days in Freshers week, play football, spoke to people on my course who are alright but my flat mates are the problem. I don't really click with any of them even though I can 'talk to them', none of them are really like myself so it's difficult.

We all went shopping last week and I felt as awkward as anything, had absolutely nothing to say to any of them and it dawned on me that I just don't like them. People on my course seem alright but like you they are in different halls.

I know how you feel anyway, that's what I'm trying to get across I guess.

You sound like you're in the exact same position as me. I walked to the beach with them at the end of the first week and I just gave up trying to talk to them because it was too much effort, they didn't seem to want to make much of an effort because they were too busy texting their BFs/GFs etc.

For once I think the problem is them rather than myself. I'm not trying to sound arrogant and usually I always blame myself, but on the whole people outside of my flat seem to be happy when I'm around them?
Original post by Hep Guardiola

Hello :smile:,

It isn't unusual to feel the way you are - within the first couple of weeks of university it is easy to get to the point where you are feeling low and it's down to the fact that everything has changed in a short space of time and your body hasn't really had time to process it so therefore, when things start to settle you start to realise all the changes and it's just how you feel. It's mainly because after the rush and excitement of Freshers Week everything calms down and you settle into a mundane routine - just keep yourself busy, do things you enjoy doing and give yourself a boost!

Good luck! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending