The Student Room Group

Medicine 2018 Entry Gap Year Applicants

Hi, this may a bit too early but has anyone decided that they will take a gap year and apply in 2017?
Thought it would be a good idea to start a thread early so we can go on this journey together :u:.
If so what are your stats ?
Why are you taking a gap year?
What are you planning to do in your gap year?
Where are you thinking of applying next year?

I got 9A*s 2As for GCSE.
I'm taking a gap year because I messed my chemistry AS and hoping to get at least an A in A2.
On my gap year I'm planning to travel a lot and probably do more volunteering. Still have a while to plan it though. :smile:
Next year, depending on my grades, I want to apply to UCL, Kings, Nottingham and maybe Birmingham .

Scroll to see replies

Hey,
I'm going to be taking a gap year and applying to medicine in 2018! I'm taking a gap year because I didn't get a great UKCAT score but mostly because I want to earn some money before uni, do some volunteering and travel for a few months!

My stats are-
GCSE's- 1A* 7A 2B
AS levels- 1A 3B
Predicted A2 - A*AA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yea, i am taking a gap year because y AS grades were terrible - ACE
Hoping to apply to liverpool, exeter, plymouth and kings.
My AS's weren't the best so I'm applying for neuroscience instead of medicine this year. This is just to be on the safe side incase I don't get the grades to do medicine. Hopefully I get good A2 results and can take a gap year to do medicine in the 2018 entry.
If I am taking a gap year, I'd like to earn and get some work experience done.
Hi, i'm taking a gap year too and applying again in 2018.
I got 1 A* and 7 A's at gcse.
But my AS predictions are terrible: ABC (no way was I going to get in with that)
But i'm hoping to smash A2 and do much better!
I was thinking about doing the gap medics programme and also working to earn some money, and strengthening my application, practise for ukcat etc.
Reply 5
Original post by Iamflorence
Yea, i am taking a gap year because y AS grades were terrible - ACE
Hoping to apply to liverpool, exeter, plymouth and kings.

we pretty much got the same grades! What did you get an E in? I'm kinda worried about them not accepting me because of my AS grades especially since my worst grade was in chem .:s-smilie:
Reply 6
Original post by 99jellybean99
But my AS predictions are terrible: ABC (no way was I going to get in with that)
I was thinking about doing the gap medics programme and also working to earn some money, and strengthening my application, practise for ukcat etc.

ah my predictions were worse! oops. I definitely recommend gap medics because I've volunteered abroad and it was one of the best experiences I've ever had!
Original post by 99jellybean99

I also highly recommend gap medics I did it over the summer in Tanzania and it was absolutely amazing, worth every penny in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Oragon
we pretty much got the same grades! What did you get an E in? I'm kinda worried about them not accepting me because of my AS grades especially since my worst grade was in chem .:s-smilie:

Same my worst grade is in Chem.
Gap year in case I don't get in :frown:
I'm taking a gap year for pretty much all the same reasons as you guys, haha :smile:

I got 2A*s, 8As, 1B at GCSE
I basically messed up my chemistry AS so predictions weren't good enough to apply this year, plus my birthday is July so I didn't think I would be ready for uni next year!
I'm planning on going to Australia to do some work experience in a clinic, then do a few months of volunteering in a Sri Lankan orphanage.

Depending on how results turn out, I'm thinking UCL, Brighton & Sussex, King's, and maybe St George's.
Original post by Thivya K
I'm taking a gap year for pretty much all the same reasons as you guys, haha :smile:

I got 2A*s, 8As, 1B at GCSE
I basically messed up my chemistry AS so predictions weren't good enough to apply this year, plus my birthday is July so I didn't think I would be ready for uni next year!
I'm planning on going to Australia to do some work experience in a clinic, then do a few months of volunteering in a Sri Lankan orphanage.

Depending on how results turn out, I'm thinking UCL, Brighton & Sussex, King's, and maybe St George's.

I'm hoping to go to Australia too! Are you planning on going with an organization?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Taking a gap year because I have received 2 rejections and awaiting the other 2 now. The last 2 were my risky choices and I won't be making it unfortunately :'(

Any good ideas for a gap year applicant?

I got 617 UKCAT and it wasn't good enough. Tips for second time round like resources etc??
Reply 14
Original post by flappydina
Taking a gap year because I have received 2 rejections and awaiting the other 2 now. The last 2 were my risky choices and I won't be making it unfortunately :'(

Any good ideas for a gap year applicant?

I got 617 UKCAT and it wasn't good enough. Tips for second time round like resources etc??

May I ask which universities you applied for and what your predicted grades are? I am also in a similar situation to you and can understand how stressful it might be. PM me?
Original post by frvd
May I ask which universities you applied for and what your predicted grades are? I am also in a similar situation to you and can understand how stressful it might be. PM me?

Aberdeen - Rejected
Dundee - Rejected
Edinburgh - Awaiting Rejection (they are much more strict than Aberdeen and Dundee so it's pretty obvious)
Bristol - Can't go to cos of family

Predicted grades are 3A's I think (Scottish applicant).

Yeah it really does suck. Wbu? Like uni's and all and what you gonna do next year. Any advice for UKCAT etc?

I'm kind of trying to think what I will be doing now next year, get it under control in a way. But grades are top priority now!
Reply 16
Original post by flappydina
Aberdeen - Rejected
Dundee - Rejected
Edinburgh - Awaiting Rejection (they are much more strict than Aberdeen and Dundee so it's pretty obvious)
Bristol - Can't go to cos of family

Predicted grades are 3A's I think (Scottish applicant).

Yeah it really does suck. Wbu? Like uni's and all and what you gonna do next year. Any advice for UKCAT etc?

I'm kind of trying to think what I will be doing now next year, get it under control in a way. But grades are top priority now!

So far I have been rejected from Liverpool and Leeds but expecting rejection from my other two unis. For UKCAT, I found doing lots of practice questions extremely helpful, especially for AR and QR as the questions are quite similar. 100% recommend suscribing to Medify about 2 weeks before as the format is similar to the real thing.
I'm still not entirely sure about what I'll do on my gap year, hopefully something along the lines of working and then travelling abroad to volunteer but i'll see how it all goes.
Original post by frvd
So far I have been rejected from Liverpool and Leeds but expecting rejection from my other two unis. For UKCAT, I found doing lots of practice questions extremely helpful, especially for AR and QR as the questions are quite similar. 100% recommend suscribing to Medify about 2 weeks before as the format is similar to the real thing.
I'm still not entirely sure about what I'll do on my gap year, hopefully something along the lines of working and then travelling abroad to volunteer but i'll see how it all goes.

Ah, unlucky :frown:

All we can do now is wait and hope I guess. Then start planning :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by frvd

If you don't mind me asking, what did you get in the UKCAT, I will be sitting it again this year and I'm looking for ways to improve my previous score. :smile:
Gap yah is so sh*t when you have to go through the application cycle again.
Cant even go travelling until you finish interviews ffs
#forced gap yah #slowly going crazy #2nd gap yah here I come

Latest