The Student Room Group

Any vet student on here?

Are there any vets/students or vet/animal nurses on here who could help, I have a problem with a pet but am not sure of the best thing to do.
It's a very bad idea to try and get a diagnosis for your pet online. Without seeing and properly examining the animal it would be difficult for anyone to accurately decide what was wrong, and even then to treat the animal you may need drugs or surgery, so will have to go to the vet anyway.

You can use this website to help you find a vet practice. If you are worried about the cost and you're on a low income then you can try charities such as the PDSA

You have a responsibility to offer your pet the best care you are able to provide, which includes taking them to a qualified vet when you suspect that they have health problems. Please take your animal to a vet as soon as possible rather than attempting to get a diagnosis on this website.
As above.

A vet student wouldn't be able to help anyway, because students are not qualified to offer advice/treatment.

A qualified vet would also not be able to help online without seeing the animal, as it would potentially be quite dangerous to do so.

Please take your pet to see a vet if you have any issues.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
It's a very bad idea to try and get a diagnosis for your pet online. Without seeing and properly examining the animal it would be difficult for anyone to accurately decide what was wrong, and even then to treat the animal you may need drugs or surgery, so will have to go to the vet anyway.

You can use this website to help you find a vet practice. If you are worried about the cost and you're on a low income then you can try charities such as the PDSA

You have a responsibility to offer your pet the best care you are able to provide, which includes taking them to a qualified vet when you suspect that they have health problems. Please take your animal to a vet as soon as possible rather than attempting to get a diagnosis on this website.

I agree, though you have assumed everything wrong none of that applies to me lol.
Original post by indigofox
I agree, though you have assumed everything wrong none of that applies to me lol.

What? Everything there applies to you :eyeball: You do have a responsibility towards your pet. Perhaps the part about charities being available isn't applicable, but for you to go straight to a student forum rather than a vet when your vet when, verbatim, you 'have a problem with a pet', I think it's reasonable to guess that there might be a reason for that choice.
Reply 5
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
What? Everything there applies to you :eyeball: You do have a responsibility towards your pet. Perhaps the part about charities being available isn't applicable, but for you to go straight to a student forum rather than a vet when your vet when, verbatim, you 'have a problem with a pet', I think it's reasonable to guess that there might be a reason for that choice.

Wrong again, I've not gone 'straight to a student forum' I'm having regular contact with the vets. I just feel like saying **** off because I've been upset all week, I've been doing my best, people around me don't like/want to know about a pet rat and I've no one to talk to. Not being dramatic it's just how I feel.
Original post by indigofox
Wrong again, I've not gone 'straight to a student forum' I'm having regular contact with the vets. I just feel like saying **** off because I've been upset all week, I've been doing my best, people around me don't like/want to know about a pet rat and I've no one to talk to. Not being dramatic it's just how I feel.

Vet students on a forum are not qualified to help, we would actually get in quite a lot of trouble if we offered advice other than to take your pet to a qualified vet. We are not insured to offer advice and because we are students, we have not completed the degree therefore we do not have the knowledge a fully qualified veterinary surgeon has. I personally would not feel comfortable giving advice over the Internet and it would be my career on the line.

I'm sorry you're upset about your pet being unwell, but as students we have a duty of care to send you with your pet to a vet to be seen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending