The Student Room Group

I'm applying to sixth form.... I'm definitely taking English Lit, I was also thinking Law.... what else should I take?
I looked into Phycology and business studies..just ideas though!
What do you suggest? Are English Lit and Law too soft?
What subjects would go well with them, do you think I should take a science?

Thank you :smile:
Do you have an idea of what you want to do after sixth form?
Reply 2
I was thinking maybe becoming a lawyer or solicitor, market research and management etc...nothing set in stone but those are my general ideas

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you want to do law at university then essay based subjects/ subjects that require analysis such as English lit will put you in a good position for that kind of degree

Posted from TSR Mobile
English Literature is a great subject to take if you're thinking of studying a Law degree, because it is essay-based, and it is also a traditional facilitating subject, which universities like. A Level Law isn't necessary for Law (most universities don't even encourage applicants to take it), so I would suggest picking another subject instead. History is another useful subject if you want to take a Law degree, so that could be another possibility. Other traditional subjects like Geography, Maths or a language are also good :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Leviathan1741
English Literature is a great subject to take if you're thinking of studying a Law degree, because it is essay-based, and it is also a traditional facilitating subject, which universities like. A Level Law isn't necessary for Law (most universities don't even encourage applicants to take it), so I would suggest picking another subject instead. History is another useful subject if you want to take a Law degree, so that could be another possibility. Other traditional subjects like Geography, Maths or a language are also good :smile:

Maths is a definite NOPPEEEE, I've only studied French.... I haven't taken Geography at GSCE, would that matter? or is it best to stick with one of the traditional subjects I took at GCSE? :smile:
Whether you need GCSE Geography in order to study it at A Level depends on your college/sixth form, my sixth form didn't require GCSE Geography in order to do the A Level :smile:

The good thing about taking traditional, or 'facilitating' subjects is that they are relevant to a wider range of degrees. Also, if you took English Literature and History for example, you could then take a non-facilitating subject such as Psychology, as most universities only require/encourage applicants to take one or two facilitating subjects :smile:
Reply 7
Whether you need GCSE Geography in order to study it at A Level depends on your college/sixth form, my sixth form didn't require GCSE Geography in order to do the A Level :smile:

The good thing about taking traditional, or 'facilitating' subjects is that they are relevant to a wider range of degrees. Also, if you took English Literature and History for example, you could then take a non-facilitating subject such as Psychology, as most universities only require/encourage applicants to take one or two facilitating subjects :smile:

Ahh okay, so if I choose English Lit, Law, Business Studies and Biology , that would be a good mix? I don't want to take too many "soft subjects" but equally don't want to take on too much and underachieve! Thank you so so much for your help!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
English Lit and Biology are strong subjects, so they are both good. Law and Business studies are generally regarded as 'soft' though, so your application would be stronger if you just took one of them, and maybe replaced the other with something which is more traditional.

I would suggest emailing the universities you're interested in and asking whether your subject combination would be accepted for the courses you're considering, that way you will know for sure :smile:
Reply 9
English Lit and Biology are strong subjects, so they are both good. Law and Business studies are generally regarded as 'soft' though, so your application would be stronger if you just took one of them, and maybe replaced the other with something which is more traditional.

I would suggest emailing the universities you're interested in and asking whether your subject combination would be accepted for the courses you're considering, that way you will know for sure :smile:

I definitely do not want to replace law...again business studies is a subject I'm keen on but I do want a strong application for when I go to uni, so I would consider perhaps dropping it

Biology and English Lit seem like good subjects to take and are strengths, I could change business studies for a language...
I will definitely email one or two universities to see what their take is, and will seek additional career advice in the meantime to get a more secure view on a career path
Again, thank you so much for your time and help! I feel a lot more informed and confident now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
That sounds like a good idea! Best of luck with your choices :h:

Quick Reply

Latest