The Student Room Group

Depressed about Uni Applications

So I finished my GCSEs with A*s As and Bs and one D due to my German teacher dying half way through and was then sent to this other school to do my A levels by my Father where I had to get up at 5 45 every day and walk 30 mins to a Bus stop then take a 30 min bus ride getting in an hour before school started, as a result I ended up with CDEU in Economics, Maths, Physics and Further Maths respectively. I chose to go to the local school and in retrospect I was extremely lazy, I took Maths, Further Maths, History and Physics this time and got BCCE, again as a result of not showing workings, being rushed with everything and not solving questions the way I was taught, despite getting correct answers. I have completely reformed my learning technique completely and study 3+ hours a night, not including Homework. My teachers want me to do 4 A levels as they think with changing my attitude to work I could achieve some good grades. Im aiming to re take some modules and get A*A*AA this year, two subjects of which dont use last years grades, I know this sounds completely biblical, but I am completely dedicating my after school hours to study, Im doing about 30 hours extra a week. I have work experience at Investment banks under my belt and trade Currencies as a hobby, however, if I want to get a job at a hedge fund or investment bank I need to go to a target Uni, and to be honest my grades are target Uni worthy. So I have finally come to realize that my teachers know better than I do about myself and am stuck in this loop hole where I will probably get rejected by most good unis on the basis of my AS grades. What do I do... I was told there is something called adjustment if you exceed your target grades?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by VonDutchyy
So I finished my GCSEs with A*s As and Bs and one D due to my German teacher dying half way through and was then sent to this other school to do my A levels by my Father where I had to get up at 5 45 every day and walk 30 mins to a Bus stop then take a 30 min bus ride getting in an hour before school started, as a result I ended up with CDEU in Economics, Maths, Physics and Further Maths respectively. I chose to go to the local school and in retrospect I was extremely lazy, I took Maths, Further Maths, History and Physics this time and got BCCE, again as a result of not showing workings, being rushed with everything and not solving questions the way I was taught, despite getting correct answers. I have completely reformed my learning technique completely and study 3+ hours a night, not including Homework. My teachers want me to do 4 A levels as they think with changing my attitude to work I could achieve some good grades. Im aiming to re take some modules and get A*A*AA this year, two subjects of which dont use last years grades, I know this sounds completely biblical, but I am completely dedicating my after school hours to study, Im doing about 30 hours extra a week. I have work experience at Investment banks under my belt and trade Currencies as a hobby, however, if I want to get a job at a hedge fund or investment bank I need to go to a target Uni, and to be honest my grades are target Uni worthy. So I have finally come to realize that my teachers know better than I do about myself and am stuck in this loop hole where I will probably get rejected by most good unis on the basis of my AS grades. What do I do... I was told there is something called adjustment if you exceed your target grades?

Adjustment is for applicants who exceed the conditions of their firm offer, not their target grades. See https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/results/adjustment-%E2%80%93-if-you%E2%80%99ve-done-better-expected

Alternatively, apply after you have your final A-levels in hand. If things go the way you hope, you will have impressive grades and will therefore get into 'better' unis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending