The Student Room Group

Post tonsilectomy grim taste

Not doing so well after my tonsillectomy. On day 3 now and almost threw up a while ago. Feeing generally ill but the grim taste in my throat just makes it so much worse and makes me struggle to eat anything.

I phoned the hospital about feeling ill and will be talking to the doctor tomorrow to sort that, but does anybody know anything I can do to improve the taste a little? It jst keeps reminding me of how sick I feel and I can't find any decent advice online.

I'm drinking as much water as I can manage already and I think it may help a tiny bit. Is it okay to gargle gently to try to clean things or can it make things worse?

Thanks to anybody with any advice. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Not doing so well after my tonsillectomy. On day 3 now and almost threw up a while ago. Feeing generally ill but the grim taste in my throat just makes it so much worse and makes me struggle to eat anything.

I phoned the hospital about feeling ill and will be talking to the doctor tomorrow to sort that, but does anybody know anything I can do to improve the taste a little? It jst keeps reminding me of how sick I feel and I can't find any decent advice online.

I'm drinking as much water as I can manage already and I think it may help a tiny bit. Is it okay to gargle gently to try to clean things or can it make things worse?

I'm not sure about gargling, but mint flavoured sugar free chewing gum may help
Reply 2
Original post by chelseadagg3r
I'm not sure about gargling, but mint flavoured sugar free chewing gum may help

Thank you. You're like my guide through this. I'll see if i can get my bf to grab me some. :P
Thank you. You're like my guide through this. I'll see if i can get my bf to grab me some. :P

Haha I hope it helps

I had the same problem after my tonsillectomy! I think when it got to a week after was when the pain and taste was the worst..

I was given difflam spray and oral rinse stuff - it's mint flavoured as well as being an anti-inflammatory and anaesthetic so it soothed my throat as well as making the taste better
Reply 5
Original post by abbalarr95
I had the same problem after my tonsillectomy! I think when it got to a week after was when the pain and taste was the worst..

I was given difflam spray and oral rinse stuff - it's mint flavoured as well as being an anti-inflammatory and anaesthetic so it soothed my throat as well as making the taste better

Thanks for that. So far the sister has just told me to stop taking the painkillers that are stopping me being in agony and that the sickness isn't their problem cos I have IBS and that's what's triggered it (eventhough I told them my throat is making me feel sick too -that's what's stopping me eating).
I'm geting a callback from my consultant and doctor later so hopefully that will help. Right now i'm just sucking on a mint and preying for mercy from the tonsil gods :erm:

It's not unbarable right now, but I know it's just going to get worse if I can't improve at least some of it. I'm already trying to hold back on the painkillrs cos I know they aren't good on an upset stomach, but then I'll be in tear jerking agony and I just have no choice. At least if I can sort out some of the sickness or throat issue i'll hopefully be able to eat something.

I'll probably ask somebody about that rinse you mentioned. It just feels like there's so much stuff that I need to rinse out, but I can't even swallow properly to do it so... yeah.

Ayway thanks (both of you) for the responses. I think I kinda need somewhere to moan if nothing else cos I'm staying with my bf atm and his parenets keep trying to steal him to do work for them instead of help me cos "It's just tonsils". Frankly this is worse than my last surgery though. :/

Quick Reply

Latest