The Student Room Group

I feel like I've made a mistake

I know this isn't exactly an 'everyday' problem but I have no idea where to put this and it seems like the best fit.
So I moved to university at the beginning of September and after a month I can say that I feel like I've made a mistake. I'm feeling like university isn't for me, even though it's only been 1 month. I had doubts before I went and it feels like they've just been confirmed. I didn't know what I wanted to do when it came to applying (Still don't) so I picked a course after doing a little bit of research. Right now I feel like I definitely should of done a gap year but its a little bit late for that now.
I've been thinking and currently I think that dropping out is the option for me. But if I did, my problem is I have no idea what I would do if I did drop out from uni. If possible could people give me some advice on the logistics/paths I could take if dropped out or any other options that you reckon are available to me.
Many thanks in advance! I'm genuinely lost and appreciate any advice or words that you guys have :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I know this isn't exactly an 'everyday' problem but I have no idea where to put this and it seems like the best fit.
So I moved to university at the beginning of September and after a month I can say that I feel like I've made a mistake. I'm feeling like university isn't for me, even though it's only been 1 month. I had doubts before I went and it feels like they've just been confirmed. I didn't know what I wanted to do when it came to applying (Still don't) so I picked a course after doing a little bit of research. Right now I feel like I definitely should of done a gap year but its a little bit late for that now.
I've been thinking and currently I think that dropping out is the option for me. But if I did, my problem is I have no idea what I would do if I did drop out from uni. If possible could people give me some advice on the logistics/paths I could take if dropped out or any other options that you reckon are available to me.
Many thanks in advance! I'm genuinely lost and appreciate any advice or words that you guys have :smile:

Have you looked into doing an apprenticeship? There's ones in loads of fields and at different levels as well. You could work, but you'd be unlikely to get anything particularly interesting. You could always save some money and do a bit of travelling as well :smile:
First off, a lot of people feel like this when they first start uni so you're not alone. Talk to advice and counselling and your tutor to work out why you're feeling like this and what you can do about it. Maybe join some clubs and societies and get involved with things. Maybe get a job. If you end up dropping out you need to spend some time working out what you enjoy and are good at and what you want to do and whether or not you need a degree to do it (or what else you need to do to do it).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending