The Student Room Group

Dropping out

I'm thinking about dropping out of my course, but I'm not sure if it's the right thing to do or not.

It's a course that has a guaranteed career at the end of it and I've just started my second year but the degree is making me miserable, I have no motivation to go to lectures at all and I feel like I can't cope with this for another 2 and a half years until I complete it. There's another way to get the qualification I need and want (diploma) and I feel like this would suit me better but I'm torn as to what to do.

So I guess I'm just looking for other peoples thoughts on this, any help is appreciated :smile:
First off are you sure this is what you want to do career wise? Maybe get some work experience to work it out. Second, maybe think about getting some help. Talk to your tutor and advice and counselling and see if they can help. Then think about dropping out and taking the diploma option, Good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by yuppp
I'm thinking about dropping out of my course, but I'm not sure if it's the right thing to do or not.

It's a course that has a guaranteed career at the end of it and I've just started my second year but the degree is making me miserable, I have no motivation to go to lectures at all and I feel like I can't cope with this for another 2 and a half years until I complete it. There's another way to get the qualification I need and want (diploma) and I feel like this would suit me better but I'm torn as to what to do.

So I guess I'm just looking for other peoples thoughts on this, any help is appreciated :smile:

i would understand if it was your first year, but now you have to think about the consequences
Reply 3
Original post by Impressive
i would understand if it was your first year, but now you have to think about the consequences

Such as?
Reply 4
I'm in the same situation just started 2nd year and I'm thinking of changing my course because I'm not entirely happy on my current one. 1st year was ok but I really don't have much motivation. I suppose if you aren't motivated you aren't going to do well. So I'm seriously considering it
Reply 5
That's the problem, I know I won't want to do any of the assignments or coursework. I feel like if I take a year out and go a different route I'd do much better.
It totally depends on what course you are doing! I do Pharmacy and oooooh man were the first couple of years bad. I'm in 3rd year now and its so much more clinically-based and awesome, and I'm actually really enjoying it!

One thing that really helped me was to join some clubs/societies, even if you are having a tough time on your degree, you'll make some great friends and have it as a little-community to escape to. I wouldn't have made it to 3rd year without their help!

Perhaps arrange to have a discussion with your tutor so they know how you are feeling and may be able to offer you some insight :smile:

Much Love <3 xxx
Reply 7
Original post by yuppp
Such as?

I don't know what's your alternative so I will just list few points

- you will lose your career opportunity
- if you were to re-apply you may start feeling the same but not necessarily
- student finance
- less opportunities career-wise

but...

Original post by yuppp
That's the problem, I know I won't want to do any of the assignments or coursework. I feel like if I take a year out and go a different route I'd do much better.

then go for it

Quick Reply

Latest