The Student Room Group

What languages do you speak?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wolfmoon88
Not fluent enough to think in other languages

Do you think slower in Chinese compared to English?
Reply 21
omg i really want to learn farsi!!!! I speak English, Hindi and Panjabi. And I think in English lol. I'm currently learning how to read and write persian (farsi) but have no idea how to speak it which I know sounds so weird but I've been studying a text which is in farsi so thats why :smile:
Original post by KHARKU
omg i really want to learn farsi!!!! I speak English, Hindi and Panjabi. And I think in English lol. I'm currently learning how to read and write persian (farsi) but have no idea how to speak it which I know sounds so weird but I've been studying a text which is in farsi so thats why :smile:

Can you think in Hindi and Punjabi?
Reply 23
fluent in german and english, know a bit of spanish, a lot of latin also but that's a dead one :biggrin:
Original post by harijk890
Do you think slower in Chinese compared to English?

No I don't loool, both are almost instantaneous
Original post by scblx
fluent in german and english, know a bit of spanish, a lot of latin also but that's a dead one :biggrin:

What language do you think in?
Just English, but I hope to learn more in my life :smile:
Reply 27
Can you think in Hindi and Punjabi?

yes but as hindi and punjabi are my second languages I tend to find it weird thinking in them lol
No I don't loool, both are almost instantaneous

Do you ever think in Chinese? Or just stick to English? Do you have to force yourself to think in Chinese?
Typical combo: French, Arabic and English
Do you ever think in Chinese? Or just stick to English? Do you have to force yourself to think in Chinese?

Lool dude why so curious? and I don't force myself to think in chinese unless why I am in mandarin class. It's more like an unconscious decision.
Reply 31

I live in Germany and it's my native language so mostly German. However, sometimes there are English words in my thoughts and whenever I deal with something in English (like at the moment) I think in English, just as when I am in the UK.
When I was on holiday in Spain I also thought in Spanish sometimes.
Original post by scblx
I live in Germany and it's my native language so mostly German. However, sometimes there are English words in my thoughts and whenever I deal with something in English (like at the moment) I think in English, just as when I am in the UK.
When I was on holiday in Spain I also thought in Spanish sometimes.

So you can think in German and English?
Lool dude why so curious? and I don't force myself to think in chinese unless why I am in mandarin class. It's more like an unconscious decision.

What age did you learn Chinese and English?
Original post by childofthesun
Typical combo: French, Arabic and English

Reply 35
So you can think in German and English?

Yes :smile:
I think when you speak a language fluently, you usually also can think in it fluently.
At this point this language should feel natural I think... At least this is how I experienced it.
Original post by Faloodeh
Just curious. I speak farsi and english :smile:

Ahh same!! :redface:
I speak farsi, English, dutch, Russian (I had to learn Russian because some of my family members can't speak farsi/english) all fluently but I'd say for Russian I'm 85% fluent and I know a bit of Spanish!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by scblx
Yes :smile:
I think when you speak a language fluently, you usually also can think in it fluently.
At this point this language should feel natural I think... At least this is how I experienced it.

What age did you learn German and English?
What age did you learn Chinese and English?

young age for both
English, French and Spanish :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending