The Student Room Group

What languages do you speak?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wolfmoon88
young age for both

So if someone asked you, 'what language do you think in', would you answer, 'english and chinese'
I speak English and Hindi fluently
I know some Marathi but sometimes I get stuck mid sentence and that's embarrassing in front of family members :redface:
Original post by animeamanda1412
arabic and english, 0.01% of korean and 0.01% of japanese
all from anime and kdrama ofc

What language do you think in?
Original post by Eternalflames
I speak English and Hindi fluently
I know some Marathi but sometimes I get stuck mid sentence and that's embarrassing in front of family members :redface:

Original post by harijk890

English
If I'm remembering a conversation I had with parents in Hindi I sometimes carry on the thought in Hindi, but English is the main language I think in.
Reply 45
Twi and English
English
If I'm remembering a conversation I had with parents in Hindi I sometimes carry on the thought in Hindi, but English is the main language I think in.

Can you think in Hindi?
Can you think in Hindi?

I can if I want to, but English is the first to come to my head.
I can if I want to, but English is the first to come to my head.

So doesn't that mean you think in English and Hindi?
So doesn't that mean you think in English and Hindi?

Yes it does
Reply 50
What age did you learn German and English?

German since I was born (native)
I think I had my first English lessons at the age of seven but they weren't that serious, I have had serious lessons (with grammar etc) since I was nine.
And I am seventeen now.
Reply 51
Fluent in English and Polish, intermediate in German and Spanish. Basic Japanese, Mandarin and I can understand quite a lot of Czech and Slovak.
Original post by Qinge
Fluent in English and Polish, intermediate in German and Spanish. Basic Japanese, Mandarin and I can understand quite a lot of Czech and Slovak.

Yes it does

Can you think in any other languages?
Can you think in any other languages?

Nope, not fluent in any others.
Reply 55

It depends on the situation. Most of the time I think in concepts rather than a language. Let's say I think of a dog, I'll think of an actual dog rather than the word dog.

I think in English in school, as well everything is in English and school requires memorisation of phrases to get all those marking points in the exam.

But let's say if I'm writing something in Polish I will think in Polish, or if I'm in a Spanish conversation I will think in Spanish.

It's situation based.
Original post by Qinge
It depends on the situation. Most of the time I think in concepts rather than a language. Let's say I think of a dog, I'll think of an actual dog rather than the word dog.

I think in English in school, as well everything is in English and school requires memorisation of phrases to get all those marking points in the exam.

But let's say if I'm writing something in Polish I will think in Polish, or if I'm in a Spanish conversation I will think in Spanish.

It's situation based.

When you think on your own, what language do you use?
Reply 57
Russian, English, Bulgarian, a little bit Serbian/Macedonian/Croatian :smile:
Reply 58
When you think on your own, what language do you use?

I'd think using concepts as there is no need for me to think of words.
French, Finnish, English. Want to learn Dutch/German.

Quick Reply

Latest