Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Depression at University

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    I have recently started a postgraduate degree and have moved away to do so. I'm really enjoying the degree but due to not having any funding I have taken up a job to pay for fees and living (bank loans are not an option for me). However, something thats getting in the way is my sinister depression/anxiety hybrid. I have even stopped turning up to work because of it and it is disabling me from living my life.

    I'm really anxious about going to a doctor because of this. The on-campus doctors are known to be quite unsympathetic and harsh on mental illness. I just don't know what to do.

    I have been taking St John's wort tablets in attempt to take the edge off but no suffice. Also, would seeing a gp mean I have an 'official' mental illness, meaning it's something jobs may take into account? I've never thought/worried about this before but after reading threads on here it's something a lot of people have mentioned.

    Definitely go to your GP! Don't get put off by what you think future employers might think. Mental illness is covered under the Equality Act and this means you can't be discriminated against because of a disability.
    Also just because you seek support about mental health issues doesn't mean you have an 'official' illness so I wouldn't worry about that either. They might diagnose you, but at the end of the day the most important thing is that you get some support, whether that be medication or talking therapy.
    Having been treated by many psychiatrists, I would suggest that you stop taking the St John's Wort gradually as if the GP wants to start you on medication you wont be able to take it at the same time.
    I really hope you feel better soon
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.