The Student Room Group

Flatmate drama

I am 26, mildly autistic and had a few years of severe family issues including close relative (only a few years older) dying and chinese whispers from public meant I left town to stop the nasty comments, then I started recovering but moved within the new town to a flatshare as was barely able to cover bills and my flatmate was bi polar (and after I moved out was sectioned) meaning I dropped out of college near the end of year but already got into uni so moved to have another bi polar flatmate, a schizophrenic and one who made many keys for friends turning his room into a party flat so failed the first year due to stress and decided to go back to where I first lived and start.

A few weeks in was getting on ok with flatmates at first but a foreign flatmate has been putting heating on full blast even in recent weeks meaning our first bill was high, he also spends about 2 hours a day in kitchen cooking and its so small if one person is in there another can't cook and other flatmates have agreed hes a nice guy but worried about bills and also not being able to cook,

I decided that I was going to change the years of stress and anxiety and be assertive, as I was doing so even in a polite way another flatmate came out and started shouting at ME because I own a tv in my bedroom and had a tv license letter saying they would all get fined due to me not owning a license, I mean fully screaming at me then the original flatmate decided to back her up as he believed her when she said you needed a license to own a tv

She was screaming she knew more than me and I was like "im 26 I have lived away from home 10 years don't you think I know more than you about things like this" and she went "26 a sad overweight guy with no friends" (as I say im autistic) at which I told them "im not putting up with bullying" and the guy said "why do you think you are being bullied, you need a license"

This was 3 weeks ago (we all moved in a few weeks early) and haven't been back to house much as halls gave me 2 weeks free in halls as respite and one diay did get a snotty note mentioning the internet was down for a few days and since it was in my name and they couldnt contact me (Despite having my phone number, social media contacts etc and no messages) they refused to pay that months share of the internet bill leaving me to pay the £25 for myself despite me having less income than them,

What would you do about this?
Get a grip, pay for the license like the rest of us have to. I don't see what being autistic has to do with it. I have autistic grandchildren and they get away with nothing because they are autistic. It's called life!
Reply 2
Original post by Seamus123
Get a grip, pay for the license like the rest of us have to. I don't see what being autistic has to do with it. I have autistic grandchildren and they get away with nothing because they are autistic. It's called life!

Trolling or just stupid? You don't need a license to OWN a tv you need it for Iplayer or watching things live I use mine for my pc so I can watch movies or play games.

I don't watch Iplayer or catch up services.

Can you explain what I have "gotten away with" especially when the flatmates are the ones being agressive.
Original post by Seamus123

clearly not what OP meant, doesn't sound like they've done anything wrong here (and barely mentioned autism, it is relevant to say as could affect advice given)
I had a TV and no TV license in my last property, I linked the TV to my laptop and watched online services on it - which is perfectly legal

OP - it's great the uni gave you some respite but I think it's worth trying to sort things out with the flat once you move back in, the longer you leave these things the harder it gets... ask for a flat meeting stating you want to clear the air so you can all get on and then perhaps run through with a friend what you want to say, avoid rising to personal comments or saying 'bullying' as it will inflame the situation (I agree it's not okay but the aim is to allow you to live here for the rest of the year)

don't push the issue with the money for the internet as you need to pick your battles here, say you're sorry there was problems while you were away and if it ever happens again please contact me using X number/FB etc

explain you were quite upset after the TV license issue but you have contacted the TV license people and confirmed you don't need a license to own a TV, only if you watch content which requires it - which you don't do... the letters are sent to everyone and won't be followed up

ask if you can work together to find some compromises with the heater/use of the kitchen... e.g. can the kitchen flatmate cook a little earlier/later/try and leave one hob free for others/check people don't want to cook before they start and the same for the heating... hopefully someone will back you up on those points if other people agree
Original post by Anonymous

What would you do about this?

Frankly, I'd move out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending