The Student Room Group

What are your experiences with medication for Mental Health?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BurstingBubbles
What are your own, or friend's/family's experiences with MH medication? What was it for, and did it help? What do you think about medication for MH in general?

Personally I started on Citalopram for anxiety a couple of weeks ago (after years of not wanting to take medication) and I feel like it's starting to help my anxiety and mood! Feel free to ask me any questions about it, and I'll try and help :smile:

If you think you need help with your Mental Health please see your GP. If there is anything more urgent, please contact the Samaritans.

You can post in this thread anonymously.

Same here, I started on Citalopram probably 3 weeks ago, can't remember exactly. It's mainly for anxiety as I am so anxious about everything and anything. I was too anxious to go to my doctor so it took me 4 whole years just to get help. I'm on a low dose but she's doubling it on my next prescription, so see hows that goes.

All I can say so far is that I haven't felt any benefits, but she did say it takes 4-6 weeks (in most people, it can work sooner), to see a difference. I've experienced side effects such as stomach problems and insomnia, but in all honesty I suffered from stress-induced IBS and insomnia before taking the pills, so who knows if it's just me! I have felt a bit nauseous, especially on the first week, but I think I'm over the worst of it and hopefully soon it'll start to reduce my anxiety! Glad it seems to be working for you, hope you feel better soon too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest