The Student Room Group

Your opinion on the new £5 note?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Christie_xx
I'm pretty sure that Churchill was very racist so plenty of other people would be more suitable for the notes imo 🤔

I'm no Churchill super fan but he is very iconic and arguably a very good war time prime minister. It seems like a suitable choice...
Although using him on the £5 note does seem to play into this whole 'we're British not European', WW2 nostalgic, better in the old days shite.

That aside, I love the new note except for how when you fold it it's constantly bent after that
It's cool :biggrin:

Find it stupid that Chuchill's on it though, I know he was a wartime hero, but he was a pretty vile person person that believed in using eugenics, and was pretty racist. Not the best role model.
It is a little small perhaps, and although it is now waterproof (which is great) was that reaaaaaaaly that big of an issue? The fact it shrinks in the tumble drier is funny though!
Reply 43
Original post by abc:)
I'm no Churchill super fan but he is very iconic and arguably a very good war time prime minister. It seems like a suitable choice...
Although using him on the £5 note does seem to play into this whole 'we're British not European', WW2 nostalgic, better in the old days shite.

That aside, I love the new note except for how when you fold it it's constantly bent after that

Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
It's cool :biggrin:

Find it stupid that Chuchill's on it though, I know he was a wartime hero, but he was a pretty vile person person that believed in using eugenics, and was pretty racist. Not the best role model.

The plastic note is smaller. Back in the war, the notes were smaller. So they chose Churchill :h:
lol england behind with the times, been in scotland for ages now
Original post by AppleB
I like washing it.

This. :biggrin:
Reply 46
don't like it

was given one when i bought something recently, went and bought something else with it because i couldn't wait to get it out of my hands
Can't really grab a wad of them and go round the place looking like I own it now...

They'd be thinking this motherfuc*er has Monopoly money.
Original post by Conceited
I love it. Was trying to rip a couple earlier and they stayed in mint condition.

Proper decent.

Uh... so why were you trying to rip them?

Quick Reply

Latest