The Student Room Group

Do you think I can get into a prestigious Law school with my marks?

So in my AS year i got 2 A's and 2 B's. The B's were really high, where in both of them it was only a matter of 2-3 points for a total A.

That being said, the requirements for Law School in most Unis are really high. I know i can realistically get in a Uni like Queen Mary or Manchester (AAA) but do you think I can get in, or at least get an offer, from the likes of LSE/UCL/Kings which ask for A*AA? I will be applying at one of them for sure, I mean why not, but I'd love it so much if i got in.

Also I'm scheduled to take the LNAT really soon. If i do well there, do you think It'll improve my odds?

Many thanks guys.
I'm in the same situation as you with AABB. However, I'm not applying to the aforementioned: LSE/UCL/Kings, on the basis that my GCSEs are really poor compared to most prospective law students, particularly concerning TSR ones!
If on the other hand, your GCSEs are strong/above average then I'd say give it a shot, as long as you are predicted what they expect that is.
Just try and stand out in your personal statement and work hard this year to ensure you get the grades you need.
Reply 2
Original post by Mwasher711
I'm in the same situation as you with AABB. However, I'm not applying to the aforementioned: LSE/UCL/Kings, on the basis that my GCSEs are really poor compared to most prospective law students, particularly concerning TSR ones!
If on the other hand, your GCSEs are strong/above average then I'd say give it a shot, as long as you are predicted what they expect that is.
Just try and stand out in your personal statement and work hard this year to ensure you get the grades you need.

What do you think my situation is like as an international student who has never done GSCE? The diploma from my country, which some might even consider second world, I doubt would really come in handy when they make their decision.

Do you think that would penalise me compared to other students, or will they focus mainly on my A-Levels?

Thanks
Original post by LawHopefull
What do you think my situation is like as an international student who has never done GSCE? The diploma from my country, which some might even consider second world, I doubt would really come in handy when they make their decision.

Do you think that would penalise me compared to other students, or will they focus mainly on my A-Levels?

Thanks

I'm not at university yet so don't quote me but from what i have read most universities focus primarily on a mix of A Levels/Equivalents, personal statement, and LNAT score if applicable. Im pretty sure GCSEs are just further evidence of academic ability. However, for universities like you mentioned such as UCL, LSE Etc.. they are known to expect a high standard of GCSEs/equivalent so maybe avoid those universities. Or alternatively, wing it and aim for the top.

Quick Reply