The Student Room Group

I can't control my anger

I have a very short fuse and it's very easy to annoy me. Sometimes my reactions can be explosive too but they can sometimes be violent. I don't know if this is a mental disorder or if I'm just bad at controlling my feelings. But when something minor happens like for example I drop something on the floor, I'll shout and curse.

There was this one time when my work colleague was teasing me and getting under my skin constantly all morning that I snapped and made a massive outburst in the lobby, I could have hit him if my friends didn't hold me back. Everyone was looking, I was so embarrassed.

There was this other time when my dad was dropping me off to the airport. There was no where else to stop so he went near the side near the drop off point and I got off quickly. But this traffic warden came out of nowhere and started writing his details. That made me really angry so I started cursing and shouting at the lady, making a massive commotion that my dad had to get out of the car to calm me down.

There are other occasions too but I'd say those are the ones I remember the most.

What can I do? I am scared of anger management because it's so much effort but I try so hard to control my anger but it only takes me so far.

Please help me :frown:
Do you have anything in your life that particularly bothers you that you feel unable to control? Anxiety or depression are the big two things I'm thinking of. I found when I had depression I had similar problems controlling my anger, I'd often get nosebleeds I got so angry. But since I've recovered from depression I find that things bother me a hell of a lot less. I can't even remember the last time I got angry. I dunno, might be worth looking into?
Reply 2
Original post by Sabertooth
Do you have anything in your life that particularly bothers you that you feel unable to control? Anxiety or depression are the big two things I'm thinking of. I found when I had depression I had similar problems controlling my anger, I'd often get nosebleeds I got so angry. But since I've recovered from depression I find that things bother me a hell of a lot less. I can't even remember the last time I got angry. I dunno, might be worth looking into?

No but I am very shy and nervous in social situations. I don't have many friends but I wouldn't say it gets me depressed because I never really think about it. I just can't understand why I have a short temper and snap so easily. Are my reactions normal? Even the minor things like when the train is delayed, I just get very angry and heated. I don't think I have tourettes because I don't swear randomly but I do tend to use swear words a lot. I think you can see me as a Gordon Ramsay but not in the kitchen, just in every day life, getting annoyed easily and just venting about everything.

Quick Reply

Latest