The Student Room Group

Transfering uni in 3rd year of Nursing degree??

Morning all!

I am at a London uni and was on my final managment placement when due to pregnancy i had to with draw 3 weeks before completing.

I have moved to thr North East of England now and was wondering if any of you friendly lot know if its possible to transfer uni at this late stage? Im am aware that i may need to repeat thr whole 3rd year which is fine.

Thanks in advance x
Original post by Nurse2203
Morning all!

I am at a London uni and was on my final managment placement when due to pregnancy i had to with draw 3 weeks before completing.

I have moved to thr North East of England now and was wondering if any of you friendly lot know if its possible to transfer uni at this late stage? Im am aware that i may need to repeat thr whole 3rd year which is fine.

Thanks in advance x

It really depends on a couple of factors:

1. Whether the uni in question has a syllabus similar to that of the university you've previously attended. You would still need to meet the NMC requirements so there are several factors such as the teaching syllabus as well as theory and practice hours which you would have to make up.

2. Whether the university has enough space to accept another student. This really relies on someone dropping out, and whether their placement availability means they have a sign-off mentor available for you.*

Transferring, unfortunately, can be really difficult. Also bear in mind that you need to complete the course within 5 years, so would really need to start again next September in order to finish in time. I would also query whether you would still get the bursary if you have withdrawn and transferred, rather than just taking a leave of absence.

The best thing for you to do is contact prospective universities and discuss with them whether this is something they can facilitate. If not, and this may not suit your circumstances, you may be able to go back to the London uni for just a short period to make up your deficit in hours. You should also really discuss this with your personal tutor at your previous uni as they really should have discussed options with you before you left.

EDIT: Was looking for some more info for you and I think I've found it. According to NMC Standards of Pre-Registration Nursing Education if you leave a course early you must be provided with a transcript detailing the work you have done so far in both theory and placement to allow other universities to do something called mapping (basically matching the courses up). This is on p60 of the site below.
https://www.nmc.org.uk/globalassets/sitedocuments/standards/nmc-standards-for-pre-registration-nursing-education.pdf*
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending