Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Social Work - employment

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

Hi! Any help would be really helpful! I'm thinking of studying social work at uni 2017 (between that and psychology). Im 20 and if i was to go into psychology i'd wish to be an educational psychologist but all in all, i realise i wouldn't be finished education until 29 (thats optimistic) and that is only if i get a 2.1 and enough experience prior to the doctorate.

With social work its always been something i've wanted to do as well as ed psch but its more realistic. Yet after researching the job market for NQSW's im not so optimistic. Has anyone recentlt qualified as a social worker and how is their experience of finding employment? Its the only reason i am put off applying as i see many social workers dont manage to get work as a social worker and you'll definitely need to have a statutory placement during your Bachelor?

Obvioisly with psychology i have a lot of other employment options except ed psych so have more open doors after rhe degree but personally i'd rather do a degree and be qualified in 3-4 years?

Any help would be appreciated as i believe i dont have lont till i have to apply.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 11, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.