The Student Room Group

Summer Internship problem!! (Please help!)

I'm currently in my second year of a 3 year course at uni, I want to apply for a summer internship this year to get some relevant work experience.

However, there's a good chance that i'll change course to Meng course with a year in industry after this year making my course 5 years. I am still eligible to apply for summer internships??
Yes, although some employers will be looking for penultimate students specifically, I did one after my 1st year (also MEng). Check the relevant opening for details
Original post by mattdennis
I'm currently in my second year of a 3 year course at uni, I want to apply for a summer internship this year to get some relevant work experience.

However, there's a good chance that i'll change course to Meng course with a year in industry after this year making my course 5 years. I am still eligible to apply for summer internships??

Yes - this is a great opportunity to get an internship earlier than other students! Currently you are officially a penultimate year student, so can apply for most internship opportunities - whereas those already committed to a 5 year course may struggle more. I'd recommend not mentioning your desire to join the 5 year program since there's no guarantee you'll get on it anyway and it may reduce the chances of getting an internship offer. If the company then decides to offer you a job based on your performance over the summer you then have the option to graduate in just three years with a guaranteed job offer or to continue with your plans to transfer to the 5 year course, in which case you can mention this to the company and ask if instead you could do another summer internship/ your placement year with them.*

Remember, internships are usually a way for employers to select the best students for their graduate program - so they are not all that interested in students who aren't going to graduate for another three years. Also, the main reasons for students to do an internship include the opportunity to be fast-tracked onto the company's graduate scheme before they even start their final year - so for you this could be an opportunity to get a graduate job and graduate with just three years of debt rather than having to spend another two years studying.*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending