The Student Room Group

Complex about mum's profession (doctor). Please help.

Sorry it is a bit long. I have Aspergers syndrome and Genaralised anxiety disorder. I dont mind you being brutally honest. My mum is a Registrar Paediatrician (children's doctor). My dad is a Civil engineer. Due to my anxiety in my GCSEs, I suffered from a breakdown. As a result I achieved 1A*, 2 Bs, 5Cs in my GCSEs. I am currently studying Economics, Business and Law. Whenever I tell people that my Mums a doctor, they are very surprsied. They even accuse me of lying. Once, in the tuition centre where I used to study maths, one boy asked me what my parents did. I told him that my dad's an engineer and my mum's a doctor. He responded, ' Your mums a doctor! Are you sure, is she a nurse or a doctor?' I told him that my mums a doctor. He said,'You dont look like the kind of person who's mum is a doctor. Take me to your mum. I want to meet her'. Even after meeting her, next week he wanted to see her again to 'confirm' whether she is a doctor or not. I told a teacher in school when we were having a discussion about medicine. She said, "Your mums a doctor! Wow! What does your dad do?" I told her that my dad is a civil engineer. I live in the hospital accommodation in a flat. Many kids who live there have parents as doctors. Even after telling them that my mum is a doctor they become very surprised. I get SEN (Special Education Needs) support from the school. Even the support workers are surprised. I want to do Accounting as I love the idea of working in the City. The support workers say,''Accounting is different to what your parents have done". I asked my mum, "They know that I have Aspergers and anxiety. They know about my breakdown. Do they still expect me to undertake the vigorous study required my medical students?" She said," The practical work of a doctor is difficult for people with Aspergers, but they can still study the content". People have said that my mother is too simple to be a doctor. I am originally from Rawalpindi, Pakistan. Last summer I went there and I had to go to a doctor. The doctor wore such thick makeup and was so arrogant and rude. Do people expect my mother to act like this? Please help and answer. This issue is making me sad.
If a doctor is arrogant and rude that's disgusting; why the heck are they a doctor then? I don't know much about the principles of healthcare in Pakistan but they are probably different to over here. If your mum works in the UK, the primary focus is the patient, whom you have to treat with respect and dignity.

Don't know what's the point of mentioning thick makeup, but okay lol.

**** what you're parents have done, if you want to do accounting... do accounting? Do what you think will make you happy in the long run.
I think they're surprised you're a doctor's child because they probably imagine doctor's children to be perfect and completely free of any social/emotional and medical problems on the assumption their parents treat them and prevent things in the first place but of course this is nonsense.

Doctor's kid from my school was severely dyslexic he did okay though due to help and now he's at Cambridge soon to be qualifying as a surgeon...
Original post by Little Popcorns
I think they're surprised you're a doctor's child because they probably imagine doctor's children to be perfect and completely free of any social/emotional and medical problems on the assumption their parents treat them and prevent things in the first place but of course this is nonsense.

Doctor's kid from my school was severely dyslexic he did okay though due to help and now he's at Cambridge soon to be qualifying as a surgeon...

I also suspect the racial / cultural angle has a part to play unless i've badly mis read what the OP has written ( i.e. OP is of 'south asian' ancestry )...

some of the most dysfunctional and messed up people i've met are the offspring of high performing professional parents ...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by iamtfastudent
Sorry it is a bit long. I have Aspergers syndrome and Genaralised anxiety disorder. I dont mind you being brutally honest. My mum is a Registrar Paediatrician (children's doctor). My dad is a Civil engineer. Due to my anxiety in my GCSEs, I suffered from a breakdown. As a result I achieved 1A*, 2 Bs, 5Cs in my GCSEs. I am currently studying Economics, Business and Law. Whenever I tell people that my Mums a doctor, they are very surprsied. They even accuse me of lying. Once, in the tuition centre where I used to study maths, one boy asked me what my parents did. I told him that my dad's an engineer and my mum's a doctor. He responded, ' Your mums a doctor! Are you sure, is she a nurse or a doctor?' I told him that my mums a doctor. He said,'You dont look like the kind of person who's mum is a doctor. Take me to your mum. I want to meet her'. Even after meeting her, next week he wanted to see her again to 'confirm' whether she is a doctor or not. I told a teacher in school when we were having a discussion about medicine. She said, "Your mums a doctor! Wow! What does your dad do?" I told her that my dad is a civil engineer. I live in the hospital accommodation in a flat. Many kids who live there have parents as doctors. Even after telling them that my mum is a doctor they become very surprised. I get SEN (Special Education Needs) support from the school. Even the support workers are surprised. I want to do Accounting as I love the idea of working in the City. The support workers say,''Accounting is different to what your parents have done". I asked my mum, "They know that I have Aspergers and anxiety. They know about my breakdown. Do they still expect me to undertake the vigorous study required my medical students?" She said," The practical work of a doctor is difficult for people with Aspergers, but they can still study the content". People have said that my mother is too simple to be a doctor. I am originally from Rawalpindi, Pakistan. Last summer I went there and I had to go to a doctor. The doctor wore such thick makeup and was so arrogant and rude. Do people expect my mother to act like this? Please help and answer. This issue is making me sad.

Interesting thread. I kind of can and cant see what the issue is.

Presumably your parents loves you and your mum understands you.

The problem is the ignorance of the other people and not you. People are like that, just ignore them. You dont have to prove anything to them and if they cnat accept your word (having no evidence you lie), then they are just ignorant. I suspect ist because you have aspergers.

Study what you want to study and what you enjoy.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by zippyRN
I also suspect the racial / cultural angle has a part to play unless i've badly mis read what the OP has written ( i.e. OP is of 'south asian' ancestry )...

some of the most dysfunctional and messed up people i've met are the offspring of high performing professional parents ...
Yeah wasn't sure about this thought maybe OP was speaking from a different country so I left that bit...

I guess easy to see why that might happen as well ... busy at work means less time to focus on and think about your own kids.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending