Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Struggling with my As levels already

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 11-10-2016

I am going to a grammar school and i am currently doing As levels in biology,physics and chemistry. Even though its been a month in school we did a chemistry and biology test which i got a U for chemistry and a D for biology even though i revise after school. I have been crying so much lately and im stressed out if i can do a levels or should i leave the school and go to college as i feel i am too stupid for it. By the way in my gcse i got 7A and 3B. I got As in sciences but i didnt do triple sciences only core and additional. I was wondering if students experience it at the begining and get better or is it just that i am not intelligent enough to do as levels and failing from the begining. Any advice?

It's a real thing that your grades are meant to be lower for the first few months of 6th form.

I've just started at a selective 6th form college/school (/I have no idea what it actually is) and I've got friends who have 7A*s+ and are in the top half of the year, get Ds and Es on tests.
    It just takes a while to get into the rythm of everything.

You are intelligent enough!!!
    Good grades are only partly to do with intelligence, a lot of it to do with how hard you work.

Don't let one or two bad grades put you down. They are letters on a page that don't define your future.
    Throughout your lives there will be things you might not necessarily succeed in, but you just have to stand up, brush yourself off and try harder and harder until you do (I swear I'm not usually like this...)

Continue working - and if you really feel like you're struggling, talk to a teacher - that's partly what they're there for.

Good Luck!!

I'm in the exact same position as you right now, i'm studying A level maths, physics and computing and i feel like i'm way far behind the whole class, i can't help but stress literally all the time.

If you have a job I'd 100% recommend working less hours or just completely quitting it - for the first 5 weeks of college I've been doing 30+ hour weeks (Constantly asking for less hours - but keep on getting denied, until now where i just won't show up if they don't listen to my needs). Doing that while taking any kind of A level is suicide.

I'd also recommend getting enough sleep - i'm terrible for this but it really helps.
    If you really feel like you're struggling, talk to a teacher. I've been to several 'curriculum plus' (Which are just like extra lessons) and they seem to really help.

I don't know if that helped you but i would try and stick to your courses like i am for mine. If you need any help for physics pm me and i'll try and help.

Anyway, good luck.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 11, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.