The Student Room Group

Could I apply for a scholarship at a private school?

I am interested in applying to private school for sixth form, in Oxford.
These were my GCSE grades:
Further Maths - A
English Language - A*
Maths - A*
Chemistry - A*
Biology - A*
French - B
Urdu - A
Physics - A*
ICT (DIDA) - A*
Business Studies - A*
English Literature - A*
Geography - A*
History - A*
Religious Studies - A*
I think it'll be your parent/s who'll be making the decision whether or not you'll be going, given that they're the one's who'll be applying for you and, unless you get a full scholarship, paying for it
Original post by Reality Check
I think it'll be your parent/s who'll be making the decision whether or not you'll be going, given that they're the one's who'll be applying for you and, unless you get a full scholarship, paying for it

I'm not sure you understand what a scholarship is...
Original post by AlexS101
I'm not sure you understand what a scholarship is...

I think I do, kid.
Original post by BULL14
I am interested in applying to private school for sixth form, in Oxford.
These were my GCSE grades:
Further Maths - A
English Language - A*
Maths - A*
Chemistry - A*
Biology - A*
French - B
Urdu - A
Physics - A*
ICT (DIDA) - A*
Business Studies - A*
English Literature - A*
Geography - A*
History - A*
Religious Studies - A*

Have you read the terms of the scholarship to see if you are eligible? Have you talked to the bursar? You can also check if its your parents who have to apply or you can do on your own behalf. Check the type of scholarship as well including whether it covers all fees.
There are lots of independent schools in Oxford.*Very few will have full scholarships available - they are more likely to offer partial scholarships that reduce the annual fee.*Some schools will offer scholarships that are then means tested, i.e. your household income would have to be very low to qualify for a completely free ride.

Your best bet is to make a list of all the schools nearby and then check websites (+/- contact them) to ask about bursaries and scholarships. I have seen lots of posters around recently for d'Overbroeck's College that advertise scholarships so maybe start there?
Original post by BULL14
.........*

How is the timing going to work? Presumably if you have your GCSE results, you should be just about to start this sixth form now? You won't be able to change schools for Year 13.

Your grades would certainly be competitive, but it's often about more than grades. You need to look at the Admissions Sites for the schools you are interested in, because the scholarship season has started, any entrance tests and interviews will start in November-ish.

Most schools offer full scholarships, but only about one per year and your family income is assessed and it has to be very low.

The issue is timing - I think you maybe a year too late.

Quick Reply

Latest