The Student Room Group

Should obese people receive disability benefits?

Scroll to see replies

i suppose so, only if they are showing that they are actually trying to lose the weight and don't plan to turn this into a lifestyle choice
Original post by sleepysnooze
it's funny how biased you are because of the fact that you happen to be fat. I've actually been pretty overweight in my life - I was 12 stone at age 13, for instance. and I was depressed. but it just took will power and discipline to change my fundamental life style from "binge eating in front of the tv" to "listening to music on an exercise machine". it's really not that challenging to lose fat. your perspection that it's too difficult is the only thing that's holding you back. some people do have different metabolisms to others, obviously, but if you are fat, then generally, you *are* overeating. you can't get fat without a calorie excess. you want a proper challenge? try gaining ****ing muscle. *that* is a challenge.

Its funny because I used to go to the gym even when I was fat, its also funny how even now doctors don't realise why all my blood tests come back so good in fact better than people who are "healthy"

Yes power is all it takes to like for me to recover from years of bullying, a family member being murdered, and being a victim of sexual assault as well as mental heath problems that run in family and disability.

For your information at one point I was going to the gym for at least a hour a day, I lost more weight when I changed my diet last year and lost almost 4 stone in a few months only for it to creep back on despite eating less than then (and less junk food)

I originally became fat because of issues like a flatmate with serious mental health problems smashing walls, and landlord threatening illegal eviction so ate more junk, I lost most of that weight when I started uni only to get more accomodation problems (flatmate using 2kw heater 24/7 and not contributing to bills) another flatmate who watched movies loud in bedroom and had sex with her boyfriend a lot meaning I coudln't sleep, then moved to somewhere with a schizophernic flatmate, other flatmate had 24/7 parties and it was exam time so no energy to cook.

Each period of weight gain coincided with a stressful period in my life up to when I left uni, I do eat junk now and feel rough the days I do but overall eat far less but weight is still creeping on. I can honestly say I havent eaten in around 18 hours a drop of food, I did "pig out" then though with 2 portions of noodles, chicken in a wrap with potatos and cheese on side (cheese is rare) a small portion of salad and lunch that day was a chocolate bar.

Day before that I made myself rice and sausages (2 portions) that I had for lunch and dinner, day before I made chicken tikka slices with naan bread and salad and potatos.

That was all I ate the whole days.
Original post by drbluebox
Its funny because I used to go to the gym even when I was fat, its also funny how even now doctors don't realise why all my blood tests come back so good in fact better than people who are "healthy"

yeah sure

Yes power is all it takes to like for me to recover from years of bullying, a family member being murdered, and being a victim of sexual assault as well as mental heath problems that run in family and disability.

ooookay then

For your information at one point I was going to the gym for at least a hour a day, I lost more weight when I changed my diet last year and lost almost 4 stone in a few months only for it to creep back on despite eating less than then (and less junk food)

you are co-ordinating yourself poorly then if this is happening - it's not as if by magic - your body doesn't give a **** about your feelings, it just cares about your calories (in this context) and apparently you'd be having too many

I originally became fat because of issues like a flatmate with serious mental health problems smashing walls, and landlord threatening illegal eviction so ate more junk, I lost most of that weight when I started uni only to get more accomodation problems (flatmate using 2kw heater 24/7 and not contributing to bills) another flatmate who watched movies loud in bedroom and had sex with her boyfriend a lot meaning I coudln't sleep, then moved to somewhere with a schizophernic flatmate, other flatmate had 24/7 parties and it was exam time so no energy to cook.

again, very sad and strange of you to say. as if you're trying to sway me with emotion now

Each period of weight gain coincided with a stressful period in my life up to when I left uni, I do eat junk now and feel rough the days I do but overall eat far less but weight is still creeping on. I can honestly say I havent eaten in around 18 hours a drop of food, I did "pig out" then though with 2 portions of noodles, chicken in a wrap with potatos and cheese on side (cheese is rare) a small portion of salad and lunch that day was a chocolate bar.

yeah, don't eat junk

Day before that I made myself rice and sausages (2 portions) that I had for lunch and dinner, day before I made chicken tikka slices with naan bread and salad and potatos.

That was all I ate the whole days.

generally, as long as you have a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. so eat generally healthy foods and count the calories.
yeah sure

ooookay then

you are co-ordinating yourself poorly then if this is happening - it's not as if by magic - your body doesn't give a **** about your feelings, it just cares about your calories (in this context) and apparently you'd be having too many

again, very sad and strange of you to say. as if you're trying to sway me with emotion now

yeah, don't eat junk

generally, as long as you have a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. so eat generally healthy foods and count the calories.

I did, not my fault you haven't experienced things outside of your shell. I will say though that the first time I went to gym when I was 18 I lost 3 stone in about 2 months going 1-2 hours a day, then didn't go for a few years which was when I was back in education as college gym was cheap and spent a hour a day most days in gym and weight went up, I was in catered halls then too so not eating junk.

Only real difference was age, I also don't understand why when I was 23 I gained weight in a 3 week period despite eating far less than usual, I was eating next to nothing, and yes one of the things I ate was like a cheese toastie but stilll.

i.e id eat 1/2 cheese toasties a day and half a bag of packet salad for a few days, then like a kiddies ready meal a day for a few days.

Gained 2 stone.

And up to a few years ago I noticed when I went to parents for a week at say Christmas I lost up to 2 stone in a week (I assume water weight) that went back on within 2 weeks of coming back home

I was actually told I was undereating by a dietician and it was more that my diet was yo yoing i.e I would almost starve for days then eat a large portion of like mince and tatties one day.

Surely by your logic barely eating for a few days would make me lose weight.
Original post by drbluebox
I did, not my fault you haven't experienced things outside of your shell. I will say though that the first time I went to gym when I was 18 I lost 3 stone in about 2 months going 1-2 hours a day, then didn't go for a few years which was when I was back in education as college gym was cheap and spent a hour a day most days in gym and weight went up, I was in catered halls then too so not eating junk.

Only real difference was age, I also don't understand why when I was 23 I gained weight in a 3 week period despite eating far less than usual, I was eating next to nothing, and yes one of the things I ate was like a cheese toastie but stilll.

i.e id eat 1/2 cheese toasties a day and half a bag of packet salad for a few days, then like a kiddies ready meal a day for a few days.

Gained 2 stone.

And up to a few years ago I noticed when I went to parents for a week at say Christmas I lost up to 2 stone in a week (I assume water weight) that went back on within 2 weeks of coming back home

I was actually told I was undereating by a dietician and it was more that my diet was yo yoing i.e I would almost starve for days then eat a large portion of like mince and tatties one day.

Surely by your logic barely eating for a few days would make me lose weight.

if you're "undereating" yet gaining weight, you need to go to the gym.
No. Public money should not be available to those whom have given up their ability to work through voluntary gluttony and sloth.

This isn't lung cancer or a shattered femur. Obesity can be 'cured' through good diet and exercise (and easily prevented). Perhaps knowing that the state isn't going to support you while you sit on your ass at home eating junk food will serve as incentive to better yourself.
Original post by Rakas21
As a currently fat person i have to say no. The idea that my gluttony should be rewarded with free money is absurd.

How refreshing!
Original post by Plastic_Chicken

Anyone who is unable to work for any reason should, without a doubt, be entitled to benefits.

And who is going to pay for that, exactly? Or shall we go down to that special money tree at the bottom of the garden...
if you're "undereating" yet gaining weight, you need to go to the gym.

I used to, but I only stopped due to stress and lack of time, when I am in class I don't get home to 5pm at earliest assuming I leave college 10 minutes before official end, bus isn't late so I get connection.

In that case its like 5.30 or even 6pm before I get home so if I spent a hour or two at gym would mean I wouldn't get much time to cook as need to be in bed around 9 or 10pm to get up early enough to be at college on time (which is why I was thinking of dropping out yet again)

If I lived on campus would be no issue as would also mean on campus gym.

What I was told by dietician its mostly not what I eat in my case but the fact I am eating all in one go and not eating 3 meals a day, that spaghetti bolognaise I made using a whole pack of mince, make that into 2 portions that I can have for lunch and dinner.

That is the main cause of my problems, yes I snack sometimes but its not that common in fact when I was skinny years ago my diet was noodles, biscuits, spaghetti, pasta, tuna, sardines, porridge, tinned fruit, liver, eggs and not much else .
Original post by Reality Check
And who is going to pay for that, exactly? Or shall we go down to that special money tree at the bottom of the garden...

Unable is a broad term, it could include people with genuine heath problems, it can include mental health, or it can include the lazy sods which are the ones that in reality shouldn't get a penny.

The gray area is the ones who have problems due to something else, like weight gain due to trauma in their life such as a family member dying they if things are treated correct can recover from the trauma and contribute, if they are left to rot the trauma will affect them to the point the longer it takes to treat the more likely they can't contribute, or at least contribute far less in the long run.
Should alcoholics be given liver transplants?
Should drug addicts be given multiple heart surgeries?
Should smokers be given treatment for COPD or lung transplants?
Should obese people be given treatment for weight related illness?

Should any of these groups be given disability benefits because they can't work? OF BLOODY COURSE.
If you can't work due to an illness, you should be able to claim ESA. Illness is complex and multifaceted and that's why you can't make judgements such as these.

P.S. DLA is being phased out and is also nothing to do with whether you can work or not. It's for the additional costs of living with a disability.
Those who are saying it depends on whether they have a medical condition or not are making a bit of a redundant point. Because if they had a medical condition surely that medical diagnosis would be the reason for their disability benefit, and not the symptom of being obese?

Presumably if we are discussing whether an obese person should receive disability benefit based on their obesity, we are referring to those whose obesity is not a direct result of a medical condition, in which case the sole reason for the benefit would be obesity.

Therefore I say no, most definitely not. Or if they are to receive disability benefit, then those with drug or alcohol addiction should also receive disability benefits.
I believe that those who are classified as obese should receive benefits only under strict factors they have to meet. So, those who are obese as part of their own fault (over eating, lack of exercise) should not receive benefits. Its their own fault, this may sound harsh but its true.
Yet I would argue that those who are obese as a inherited factor should receive benefits, yet only if the said person is trying to loose weight in a healthy way.
If a person is obese as result of a medical condition then yes I do believe they should receive disability benefits.
Original post by KomorebiBethany
I believe that those who are classified as obese should receive benefits only under strict factors they have to meet. So, those who are obese as part of their own fault (over eating, lack of exercise) should not receive benefits. Its their own fault, this may sound harsh but its true.
Yet I would argue that those who are obese as a inherited factor should receive benefits, yet only if the said person is trying to loose weight in a healthy way.
If a person is obese as result of a medical condition then yes I do believe they should receive disability benefits.

Most of it will be covered in my other quote but it shows how overly simplified peoples ideas of things are, you don't cover the reason for either the overeating or lack of exercise) a big one is someone could work long hours and has little time to cook or little energy to do so and can't afford to eat real dinners in cafes every day so eat things like microwave food or takeout or just stuff from cupboard which is quick and easy.

For example I do now have mental health reasons but still get called lazy, glutton etc and before I had direct MH issues I had low self esteem due to bullying (even called fat when I was actually the right weight for build if not a few pounds underweight as broad built) I started going to the gym every day and loving it.

Then my MH problems arrived and now I struggle to even get out of bed.

And my MH problems are largely undiagnosed as even doctors just say despite having MH run in the family, a diagnosis of extreme anxiety from psychologist etc my own doctor refuses to prescribe anything.

Original post by Twinpeaks
Those who are saying it depends on whether they have a medical condition or not are making a bit of a redundant point. Because if they had a medical condition surely that medical diagnosis would be the reason for their disability benefit, and not the symptom of being obese?

Presumably if we are discussing whether an obese person should receive disability benefit based on their obesity, we are referring to those whose obesity is not a direct result of a medical condition, in which case the sole reason for the benefit would be obesity.

Therefore I say no, most definitely not. Or if they are to receive disability benefit, then those with drug or alcohol addiction should also receive disability benefits.

Life is never that simple, the mind is a complex thing as some people think mental health is often self inflicted in the sense its a case of "pull your socks up" and since they aren't its their own fault.

Drug and alcohol people already do get at least some form of funding for theirs which is more directly self inflicted than someone with issues who eats and becomes fat.

Mental health is the easiest way of describing someone who gains weight, you have varying levels of issues some people are just slobs, some are slobs with mental health issues, some have mental health issues who eat and gain weight.

Either way no exact way to describe anything as even someone with no mental health issues can be fat and still quite active its just their lifestyle means the overly simplified they don't do enough to lose weight.

So either way I think actual laziness shouldn't be rewarded but theres a difference between being lazy and being fat its just that you have a lot of lazy people who happen to be fat
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by squish562
If they can't work because they are too fat, should they get disability living allowance?

You should get it if you have a disability that impairs you from work.

End of story

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dandaman1
No. Public money should not be available to those whom have given up their ability to work through voluntary gluttony and sloth.

This isn't lung cancer or a shattered femur. Obesity can be 'cured' through good diet and exercise (and easily prevented). Perhaps knowing that the state isn't going to support you while you sit on your ass at home eating junk food will serve as incentive to better yourself.

Not much help when healthy low fat foods tend to be more expensive that unhealthy foods. A lot of obese people are from low income backgrounds I can't imagine they could afford to do their weekly shop in Holland and Barrat!
Personally with me I notice gluten free food makes me lose weight very fast but its so expensive.
Original post by Ambitious1999
Not much help when healthy low fat foods tend to be more expensive that unhealthy foods. A lot of obese people are from low income backgrounds I can't imagine they could afford to do their weekly shop in Holland and Barrat!

Hamburgers, pogos, bacon, chips, cookies etc. are actually quite costly. Produce and grains, on the other hand, can be cheap and provide a lot of healthy meals if you know how to cook. Smaller portions of food save money, too. A walk and a run are free. Taking a bike to work costs you nothing.

This notion that poverty causes obesity is nonsense. Tell it to the impoverished people elsewhere in the world. When I'm unemployed or going through a tough few months, my main worry is that I'm actually going to lose weight. Gaining weight is far more expensive than losing it, my friend.

Obesity is a product of gluttony, laziness, and ignorance.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
Obesity is a medical condition - there's no 'if' about it.

There are certain rare medical conditions which cause obesity - they absolutely don't make up the majority of obese people, but they exist. They should be taken into consideration in this topic.
Original post by Dandaman1
Hamburgers, pogos, bacon, chips, cookies etc. are actually quite costly. Produce and grains, on the other hand, can be cheap and provide a lot of healthy meals if you know how to cook. Smaller portions of food save money, too. A walk and a run are free. Taking a bike to work costs you nothing.

This notion that poverty causes obesity is nonsense. Tell it to the impoverished people elsewhere in the world. When I'm unemployed or going through a tough few months, my main worry is that I'm actually going to lose weight. Gaining weight is far more expensive than losing it, my friend.

Obesity is a product of gluttony, laziness, and ignorance.

Then why aren't you fat? Since you are very ignorant.

Nice stereotypes, by the way what is a pogo? If I eat burgers its butchers ones as can get them as cheap as 60p each and bulk offers of like buy 8 get 8 free, not that I eat them much as I shove them in freezer, I used to eat chicken a lot but it went up to about £5 for 4 breasts and 1 did a good sized meal if pasta/rice was with it.

I can honestly not remember last time I had bacon, cookies, and rarely eat chips if I do get them with a meal in a cafe I normally leave them as i dislike them

I generally undereat then overeat, even my doctor and dietician have said theres nothing really wrong with my diet as such just the undereating, then when I do eat its late at night and eat a big portion its screwing up my body.

I walk pretty much everywhere to the point

Whats your reasoning for my thin friends who do nothing and eat like pizzas every day? if not pizzas, crisps, chocolate, as well as smoking and drinking alcohol.

You are the sort that loves to take stereotypes and half truths and then act like its the only answer, people who do that are the ones who have a sad life and need something to make themselves feel better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending