The Student Room Group
Reply 1
What kind of IT job are you thinking of? Development, Support...
Reply 2
I was thinking network administration, technical support or computer hardware engineer.
Reply 3
As far as employers are concerned (and having done shortlisting of IT candidates myself in my job), I would strongly advise you to get as much practical (i.e. commercial) experience as possible (on top of your studies), as this is what counts. IT is such that experience always overrides paper qualifications in terms of shortlisting.

You could also try to sit some of the Microsoft or CISCO exams as well as doing your course.
Reply 4
Yep, professional qualifications and experience are what you need. CCNA/MCSA/RHCA as minimums really.

A degree is fairly worthless :smile:
Reply 5
I wouldn't go that far Samba. For many entry level IT jobs and IT Grad Schemes a CompSci degree is a prerequisite.

Also, the choice of which vocational course is important. Some Microsoft courses such as the old MCDBA and MCSD are quite highly rated, yet the market is totally saturated with MCSE/MCSA qualification holders for example (and it no longer adds much impression to your CV).
Reply 6
coolershaka
I wouldn't go that far Samba. For many entry level IT jobs and IT Grad Schemes a CompSci degree is a prerequisite.

Also, the choice of which vocational course is important. Some Microsoft courses such as the old MCDBA and MCSD are quite highly rated, yet the market is totally saturated with MCSE/MCSA qualification holders for example (and it no longer adds much impression to your CV).

Yea, I'm mainly talking about the datacentre/sysadmin level 2-3/manager (30-70k~) sort of jobs.

Stuff like the CCNP/RHCE will never be particularly devalued in my opinion, as they require extensive labtests.

I'm at the stage of applying for these sort of jobs, and the general consensus from the employers (all sorts of datacentres/corps) is that a degree is pretty much worthless. They want experience, some security experience, and an ability to think and act under pressure from what I understand.

It's really the only industry I can think of that a degree isn't really valued much....

They take grads at entry level so they can train them up cheaply and peon them for a while perhaps?

[edit: also, from what I hear, the MCSE security and messaging tracks are still pretty popular...]

Latest

Trending

Trending