The Student Room Group

Omfg my personal statement sent with an error in

Scroll to see replies

Good luck next year :P.
Original post by medhelp
okay I just called them up and they said I'd have to withdraw the whole thing within 14 days and can still reapply the same year, (So until the 15th this year). However, the application has already been sent to the universities etc, I'm going to speak to my school tomorrow and see what I should do.

@super_kawaii

I wouldn't risk it. I know of somebody who rang UCAS and was told the exact same thing but then when he went to reapply it wouldn't let him so he was forced to take a gap year. Not worth it for such a small mistake!
Reply 22
Original post by super_kawaii
If you withdraw and reapply, surely you'll miss the deadline for medicine applications which is this Saturday?*

hmm true :/ I'll just leave it then and hope for the best

Original post by Arima
You're overthinking it pal, if youre a strong enough candidate grammar mistake aside then it's absurd your unis will reject you based on that mistake. Med schools aren't that stingy lol your whole life up till this point and future career isn't defined by that one time you mistyped a word

you're right I'm thinking like this cause I've been highly strung as hell recently, thank you

Original post by MonteCristo
It's obvious to you but will probably be overlooked by 3/4 of the admissions tutors. In most cases, they will be so fatigued that their approach will be to scan the statement for key words to get a feel for your stated motivation, work experience, extracurricular achievements, etc. They are unlikely to read it carefully or care very much if they spot a single error in an otherwise carefully drafted statement.

I read my personal statement 100x before it was submitted and still managed to include the word "causalities" instead of "casualties".

and nobody noticed right? Okay that makes sense, thanks :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by super_kawaii
If you withdraw your application you will be banned from reapplying within the same application cycle. DO NOT withdraw your application if you do not want to take a gap year

Original post by medhelp
also how long do I have to withdraw it?

You have 14 days to be able to withdraw and reapply, actually
Can I also just point out the fact that nobody here are university admissions tutors so please don't take any notice of the poll you're running!
Reply 25
Original post by sdpjohnson
Can I also just point out the fact that nobody here are university admissions tutors so please don't take any notice of the poll you're running!

perhaps you're right..
who do you think I should ask?

Original post by Juno
You have 14 days to be able to withdraw and reapply, actually

thats what UCAS told me when I called up but technically I have under 3 days cause the deadline is 15th for early entry.
Original post by medhelp
and nobody noticed right? Okay that makes sense, thanks :smile:

I didn't notice it and neither did the many people who proof read it before submission. It certainly didn't stop them making a medical school offer and I wouldn't have expected it to either.

If you can genuinely withdraw and re-submit the form (and have it in writing that this is okay and that there will be no detriment) then why not do so? If not, I think you're worrying unnecessarily.
Reply 27
Original post by medhelp
perhaps you're right..
who do you think I should ask?

thats what UCAS told me when I called up but technically I have under 3 days cause the deadline is 15th for early entry.

Yes, but it's all stuff you know already. If you wanted to there's no reason it would take more than an hour or so.

I really don't think it's necessary, but it's going to stress you out then it might be better to do so. If you get rejected you'll just wonder if it was because of this mistake. They're very unlikely to read it in enough detail to notice an extra word though.
Reply 28
Original post by Juno
Yes, but it's all stuff you know already. If you wanted to there's no reason it would take more than an hour or so.

I really don't think it's necessary, but it's going to stress you out then it might be better to do so. If you get rejected you'll just wonder if it was because of this mistake. They're very unlikely to read it in enough detail to notice an extra word though.

Original post by MonteCristo
I didn't notice it and neither did the many people who proof read it before submission. It certainly didn't stop them making a medical school offer and I wouldn't have expected it to either.

If you can genuinely withdraw and re-submit the form (and have it in writing that this is okay and that there will be no detriment) then why not do so? If not, I think you're worrying unnecessarily.

you guys are right I've calmed down now lol

Yesterday, a current junior doctor read over it and then practise interviewed me and even they didn't notice so thankfully it's okay.
Reply 29
😂 I swear I read my 4 times and I just realized I had 2 grammatical errors. I don’t how 😔🤦🏽*♀️
Reply 30
Original post by Lohlah
😂 I swear I read my 4 times and I just realized I had 2 grammatical errors. I don’t how 😔🤦🏽*♀️

I read *mine* 4 times...
*realised*
I don't *know* how...

Hmm :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending