The Student Room Group

Need an experiment to find the rate of photosynthesis?

Im doing an EPQ in this, and i have no clue of any photosynthesis experiments and would love some help
Reply 1
I guess think about the by products of photosynthesis and find a way to measure the rate at which one of them is produced.
Reply 2
Original post by medhelp
I guess think about the by products of photosynthesis and find a way to measure the rate at which one of them is produced.

Like how? Someone told me to like holepunch the leaves and insert them into syringes and that but i want some other ways so that i can get like a range of ideas
An infrared gas analyser will do the trick.
a) we put the leaves in a beaker into a large beaker of isotonic solution, close it with a cork, and insert a glass tube in the corkb) How are we going to measure rate of p-synthesis? OK, think again! What happens in photosynthesis? (Ask yourself six wise men: What Where Which When How AND Why?) Which products are produced in p-thesis?
glucose AND O2
What are the substrates? .
CO2 and water.
So we need to measure one of these - How? You could let the O2 given out extend a water meniscus, in a U-shaped capillary tube in which the level of liquid will change with amount of gas extruded (or measure its volume in a calibrated syringe.)Hope this helps(A Level Biology tutor)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending