Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Pgce at a better university

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I'm studying BA Hons education studies at the university of Derby. I 100% want to go into primary school teaching, it's been my goal since a few months into my first year. I'm now in 3rd year and the applications for pgce open soon. I was wondering just how much of a chance do I have of getting into a higher ranked university, such as the university of Nottingham which requires a 2:2. I never really achieved much or even tried in secondary school or a levels so my grades weren't great at all. All my friends ended up in Russell group unis. I had no ambition until about 1/2 year after finishing my a levels and I never dreamt of even going to uni but I guess Derby decided to give me a chance when I finally decided I had to do something with my life. I'd happily apply again to Derby as I'm really enjoying my time at this uni but I want to prove that I can actually get into a top uni.

I have already met the additional requirements in terms of work experience and gcse grades needed.

Providing I get a 2:1 and a good reference, what are my chances of getting into somewhere higher up in the league tables. Any advice or experience is appreciated.

League tables don't mean much. If you meet the entry requirements you'll be fine.

If you meet the entry requirements you will have as much chance of getting an interview as anyone else. They don't generally look at uni rankings when giving out pgce offers.

I will also add on that uni ranking for the actual pgce is also of little importance seeing as it's a professional qualification.*
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.