The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Please generalize

I´d like to have an idea of what york uni life is like ( I can´t visit it ). I have absolutely no clue about the atmosphere etc... so :

* what is the atmosphere like ? Intimate? Friendly (yes you can generalize a little) or is it hard to make acquaintances ?

* Are there a lot of "rahs" ? Do they make their presence known ?
Are there a loy of chavs in town ?

* Is the town safe ?

it would be really helpful if you could answer my questions

x
The atmosphere is very friendly - sure you get a few people who stay in their rooms all day studying, but they are very few and far between. You'll make a lot of friends as long as you're sociable :smile: There are plenty of societies to join, so you get a chance to meet people in different years as well as the people you live with and the people on your course :smile:

You don't see the chavs out in town at all during the week, as those nights the town gets overrun by students. You do get a few at the weekend, but it is absolutely nothing compared to other cities, which means that the town is safe, although that doesn't mean you can be complacent...

Hope that helps :smile:
University of York
York
Reply 2
* what is the atmosphere like ? Intimate? Friendly (yes you can generalize a little) or is it hard to make acquaintances ?

Pretty close knit I'd say. As there are individual colleges, you have a common link with 1/7 of the students, so it's less daunting than having to choose friends across the whole uni. For instance, if you attend your college events, you're likely to see the same few hundred people each time, leaving more chance to get to know people. Everyone is friendly enough, especially during Freshers' Week - say hi to everyone, they'll respond in kind.

I only know of this term through friends at other unis. Because all the accomodation is randomly allocated and the same price, there certainly aren't many 'rah' communities, no.

No more than in any other town. It's a busy town so doesn't leave much space for just hanging out - too bustly for that, so there isn't a problem with them, from what I've seen.

* Is the town safe ?

Yes, the crime rate is pretty low, and being a smaller town, it's not like wandering around London in the middle of the night. I feel pretty safe in it, at least.
Reply 3

- Hardworking atmosphere, friendly (close-knit is a good word to describe it) As the colleges are pretty close to each other you'll make loads of acquaintences just from doing your laundry/walking to the campus shops etc.

Yeah quite a few 'rahs' but then York is a decent uni so will attract people of that nature... 'Presence known'? This is uni now, people have normally grown out of judging a la sixth form style... so no.

Minimal. Next to no chavs, its great to go out and feel safe.

* Is the town safe ?
Yes
Reply 4
I have to ask.... what's a "rah"?
Reply 5
a "rah" is basically a toff or snob.
Reply 6
Someone who has more money than sense, generally. The definition varies like all such things do. I've seen very few obvious snobs around campus, and have fortunately not met too many either (despite working in the student media).

York is generally safe, but apparently there's a rather high rate of bike thefts. So bring a lock if you go by two-wheels. And don't do silly things like leave the house/block with the door open at night, or leave your window wide open on the ground floor.

Tourists are more of a problem than chavs. If you wander through town on a Saturday, you'll soon be wishing all these people would get the hell out of your town. :wink:
Dez

Tourists are more of a problem than chavs. If you wander through town on a Saturday, you'll soon be wishing all these people would get the hell out of your town. :wink:

And especially if you're unlucky enough to be in town when the races are on!!! God thats manic :eek: :eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending