Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Written work

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I'm applying for Modern Languages (French and Linguistics) and I have to submit a piece of work in English, however I don't study any essay subjects that aren't foreign languages.

1) What sort of themes could my essay take? What sort of thing should I write about- it says anything that interests you, but what sort of things should I be considering? Bear in mind I currently have no literature background at all so I'd struggle to write a literature essay!

2) Will I be asked about my English piece? I'm expecting to be asked questions in the interview about my personal statement and maybe about my French essay, but considering that the English essay is unlikely to have anything to do with my course, can I expect to not be asked any questions about it?

Thanks in advance for your help

Write about something that 1) is relevant to the subject and 2) you have loved to study on your own and gone into greater depth than mere schoolwork. It is an opportunity to show off what you know and how your mind works. And yes, if you are selected for interview, they will talk about it, perhaps for the entire time allotted.

When applying to Cam, my daughter wrote about her exploration of the Bible as an archaeological resource and her research into the historical Jesus, along with her experience of doing 2 archaeology internships in Israel. It was completely based on her own work and ideas. At interview, they probed very deeply into what she wrote, both to test her knowledge, but more importantly to see how she thought. They pushed her to her absolute limit, she even thought she had blown the interview. The whole thing was a growth experience, which convinced us Cam was the perfect place for her.
    Then, she got an offer.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.