The Student Room Group

How many state school students at Oxbridge?

Poll

% state school students at Oxbridge

Approx what % of UK students at Cambridge or Oxford are from state schools (comprehensives, grammars, sixth form colleges, etc)?

It seems only 1 in 20 teachers know the answer.

Do you? (Vote in the poll before checking :wink: ! )

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/oct/13/oxbridge-fails-persuade-state-teachers-send-pupils-interview
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I got it right! :excited:

I wonder what that is compared to how many of the general population go to state/private schools?
I already knew it was 60%, but in the general population 93% of students go to state schools, but that falls to 82% of sixth formers.
Reply 3
Original post by Fox Corner
I got it right! :excited:

I wonder what that is compared to how many of the general population go to state/private schools?

Congrats!

Only approx 20% of over 16s go to private schools, so yes they are over-represented at Oxbridge but the proportion of state to private is "improving".
I thought it was lower than it actually is.
This is actually more than I expected.
Reply 6
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
I thought it was lower than it actually is.

Original post by SM6
This is actually more than I expected.

Which is what most think too, including teachers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Which is what most think too, including teachers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah. Usually I've heard from a lot of people that their teachers usually aren't supportive of applying to Oxbridge in state schools.
Original post by jneill
Approx what % of UK students at Cambridge or Oxford are from state schools (comprehensives, grammars, sixth form colleges, etc)?

It seems only 1 in 20 teachers know the answer.

Do you? (Vote in the poll before checking :wink: ! )

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/oct/13/oxbridge-fails-persuade-state-teachers-send-pupils-interview

The statistics tend to obscure some issues though - state-vs-private schooling isn't the only marker for inequality. Actually, when you look at household incomes as the indicator, all of Britain's top universities have become markedly less equal over the last 25 years and the Russell Group ones particularly so.
Reply 9
I knew it was 60% but I've always found the fact people skip over grammar school's overrepresentation at Oxbridge quite odd - there's representation problems inside the state sector too. Obviously, you'd expect grammar schools to have an edge on non selective state schools but then the same logic applies to private schools (which are often selective too - especially the ones famous for getting people into Oxbridge). I live near one of the most successful non selective sixth forms for Oxbridge entry but secret is like 10/20% of their cohort are originally from private school... However once applied the chances of someone getting in are reasonably similar independent of type of school which is fortunate
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
I already knew it was 60%, but in the general population 93% of students go to state schools, but that falls to 82% of sixth formers.

89% of all UK university entrants went to state school: https://www.hesa.ac.uk/data-and-analysis/performance-indicators/summary :cool:
Reply 11
Original post by PQ
89% of all UK university entrants went to state school: https://www.hesa.ac.uk/data-and-analysis/performance-indicators/summary :cool:

Ooh. Thanks.

Is there a chart showing state schooled university entrants % over time for Oxbridge, RG, and overall?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Scary that one in ten respondents to this poll thought that the proportion of Oxbridge students educated at a state school was 10%.
Reply 13
What proportion of those state school students attended grammar schools, out of curiosity? Anyone know?
Original post by jneill
Ooh. Thanks.

Is there a chart showing state schooled university entrants % over time for Oxbridge, RG, and overall?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not on the website - the data is all public domain but it's all in separate spreadsheets for each year.

And I'm a sad muppet so....

StateSchool Entrant % over time.PNG
Original post by PQ
Not on the website - the data is all public domain but it's all in separate spreadsheets for each year.

And I'm a sad muppet so....

StateSchool Entrant % over time.PNG

You just did those graphs, didn't you?

You can take the boy out of Oxbridge...
Original post by Reality Check
You just did those graphs, didn't you?

You can take the boy out of Oxbridge...

a) I'm not a boy
b) I didn't go to oxbridge (I didn't even apply :eek3: )

(but c) yes I did)
Original post by elen90
What proportion of those state school students attended grammar schools, out of curiosity? Anyone know?

From Sutton Trust here (http://www.suttontrust.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Oxbridge-Admissions-01.02.16.pdf) 20% of state school students at Oxbridge were from grammar schools, meaning overall they made up 12% of entrants. With only ~5% of students in UK attending grammar schools
Original post by PQ
a) I'm not a boy
b) I didn't go to oxbridge (I didn't even apply :eek3: )

(but c) yes I did)

1 out of 3 ain't bad :smile:

Sorry for making assumptions. A bad habit, non? The graph is useful, by the way.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by elen90

Original post by Fullofsurprises
The statistics tend to obscure some issues though - state-vs-private schooling isn't the only marker for inequality. Actually, when you look at household incomes as the indicator, all of Britain's top universities have become markedly less equal over the last 25 years and the Russell Group ones particularly so.

It always seems odd to me that grammar schools are lumped into the same category as comprehensive schools. I would have thought people interested in the education system would have looked into this one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending