The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

University- lost

Hello! I am from Spain and I am 19 years old.
I am having a very bad time at Uni. I am currently studying Marketing and Business at Abertay University and I am very sad. The course is not what I expected and I literally hate it at the moment.
I have always been studying science but I decided to change the subject for my degree as I thought this is what I wanted for my career.
I am very disappointed, and I do need to change to a different University for next year. I would really like to get into Edinburgh University , but I am not sure if this is possible. My grades are very good, but as I don't have a clear degree in mind I would like to make some different choices, and I don't know if this is positive for getting offers, as I have been reading personal statements and they are pretty awesome and drive.
What do you recomment ?
Reply 1
I'm only a first year at university, so take my advice with a pinch of salt.

We can't really make an informed decision without knowing more about your particular case. Why do you want to change university - do you dislike your university or just your course?

Perhaps an easier option would be to change course entirely, or even perhaps change to a joint degree? I doubt the latter would be something you're interested in, however, as you would probably have to do the same courses.

I can't really make an accurate comment on the student finance side of things, but you will need to make sure that SAAS is happy about you dropping out of your current university and re-applying to a different university. I'm pretty sure you will have to start at your new university NEXT (academic) year, so make sure you find yourself a job in the meantime as well as make sure everything is okay relating to your stay in the UK.

2017 students will be okay in terms of Brexit, so hopefully that will not be a factor in your decision. Good luck, and keep us updated :smile:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Thanks for your answer! And answering to your question, at first I thought it was just the Uni, but I have been studying for 2 months that now and I feel less and less motivated, and I don't see myself studying that for 4 years, especially when you can work at marketing without studying a degree. If it was the degree of my dreams ok, but it is not! So I am thinking of taking a science course next year, although I get pretty anxious with science because I always feel insecure.
Can I ask you what are you studying and where ?
Thanks!
Carlota
Original post by qaisjp
I'm only a first year at university, so take my advice with a pinch of salt.

We can't really make an informed decision without knowing more about your particular case. Why do you want to change university - do you dislike your university or just your course?

Perhaps an easier option would be to change course entirely, or even perhaps change to a joint degree? I doubt the latter would be something you're interested in, however, as you would probably have to do the same courses.

I can't really make an accurate comment on the student finance side of things, but you will need to make sure that SAAS is happy about you dropping out of your current university and re-applying to a different university. I'm pretty sure you will have to start at your new university NEXT (academic) year, so make sure you find yourself a job in the meantime as well as make sure everything is okay relating to your stay in the UK.

2017 students will be okay in terms of Brexit, so hopefully that will not be a factor in your decision. Good luck, and keep us updated :smile:
Reply 3
Sorry for the late reply -- I'm currently studying Computer Science at The University of Edinburgh.
Reply 4
Original post by carlotis13
Thanks for your answer! And answering to your question, at first I thought it was just the Uni, but I have been studying for 2 months that now and I feel less and less motivated, and I don't see myself studying that for 4 years, especially when you can work at marketing without studying a degree. If it was the degree of my dreams ok, but it is not! So I am thinking of taking a science course next year, although I get pretty anxious with science because I always feel insecure.
Can I ask you what are you studying and where ?
Thanks!
Carlota

Hey, how are things going? Just checking up on you.

Quick Reply

Latest