The Student Room Group

Students and young people have the most to loose from Brexit?

Scroll to see replies

I, a young person, honestly couldn't care less about Brexit. I'd bet it doesn't effect me in the slightest.
Original post by dropoutbear
Read it again and try again.

I have reread it multiple times and the only conclusion I can come to is that you made a point irrelevant to my point.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
I have reread it multiple times and the only conclusion I can come to is that you made a point irrelevant to my point.

My point was that there is evidence and surveys that show that an overwhelming majority of young people wanted to remain so that statement is not extrapolated. It's quite simple really.
Original post by dropoutbear
My point was that there is evidence and surveys that show that an overwhelming majority of young people wanted to remain so that statement is not extrapolated. It's quite simple really.

Yes I thought as much. That wasn't the point being extrapolated though. The extrapolation from incomplete data was OP's apparent assumption that I was a leave voter. So you had missed the point entirely, thanks for clearing that one up.
Look mate: only 45% of 18-25 year olds voted so most clearly couldnt care either way. Therefore don't claim to speak for all young people. Also learning how to spell the word 'lose' correctly would help everyone take you more seriously. Just a spot of friendly advice. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Yes I thought as much. That wasn't the point being extrapolated though. The extrapolation from incomplete data was OP's apparent assumption that I was a leave voter. So you had missed the point entirely, thanks for clearing that one up.

Well you didnt vote at all so how can he be extrapolating? :biggrin::biggrin: The data here is which way you voted, but you didnt vote at all. Gosh, you've wasted my time.
Original post by moshe015
Look mate: only 45% of 18-25 year olds voted so most clearly couldnt care either way. Therefore don't claim to speak for all young people. /QUOTE]

My facebook did turn absolutely hellish after the result was announced, a lot of folk that were too young to vote did wish that they could've so they could've voted in. Those young people tend to be entirely ignored in these sorts of situations.

That said I heard one 17 year old gal say that she thought we were already out of europe because we're the country of britain, not europe, so maybe a lot didn't care. Hard to say, I'm friends with a disproportionate amount of politically aware people.
I voted remain. Yes I'm sad about the result, what remainer isn't?
But I also believe in democracy so if the people vote Brexit then Brexit it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you know things about bird migration? Be like those birds,dude. They always fly to the better place. Do you think UK is the best place in the world? If not, just move your ass out of the country. Let those Brexiters enjoy their lives in heaven! :-)

1476592861994.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Original post by Ambitious1999
Only comment if you actually have something constructive to say.

Its us students and young people who have the most to loose from leaving the EU. A lot of FE colleges and universities recieve funding from the EU as do some apprenticeships and vocational training courses.

It's not only that, if Brexit causes a massive recession, with the collapse of the pound which is looking ever more likely, then there will be huge job losses too. More austerity and even less funding for education and training. We'll be the ones in the dole queue and be bullied out of our benefits because the country can no longer afford to pay welfare.

What make us most angry is it was largely the xenophobic retired people who voted Brexit, they've had their education, training careers and jobs. And those already set up in their careers who voted Brexit. We're only starting in life and we NEVER even got a say in the bloody referendum because you had to be 18 to vote.

Who else is angered and feels their hopes have been robbed from them by the older generation?

Once again:

Well, the results cannot be changed now, disappointed about what my happen to travelling in the eu as i really wanted to go round Europe, that said im interested in what will happen as I've only ever known being in Europe. Most major manufacturers will still trade with us, tourism will thrive as its still "merry old blighty "
Original post by Ambitious1999

OK
Its us students and young people who have the most to loose from leaving the EU. A lot of FE colleges and universities recieve funding from the EU as do some apprenticeships and vocational training courses.

Perhaps. Although, I think all members of society are affected by the decision. A lot of the PhDs I've seen advertised for my subject are EU funded. While money would be saved by leaving, I'm not convinced that Britain will have the same commitment to science. And of course the current freedom of travel certainly makes travelling to Europe for STEM work easier. In terms of undergrad, many people on my course have benefited from the Erasmus scheme which enabled them to spend a year studying at a University or completing an undergraduate research project at a laboratory.

It's not only that, if Brexit causes a massive recession, with the collapse of the pound which is looking ever more likely, then there will be huge job losses too. More austerity and even less funding for education and training. We'll be the ones in the dole queue and be bullied out of our benefits because the country can no longer afford to pay welfare.

I doubt things will get that bad.

What make us most angry is it was largely the xenophobic retired people who voted Brexit, they've had their education, training careers and jobs.

I think it's incorrect and intellectually dishonest to so broadly paint the older generation with the same brush. While they were the ones that tended to be in favour of Brexit at the time of voting, they certainly had a lot of other - often valid - reasons for doing so. The EU isn't a perfect organisation and its flaws and costs were highlighted and sometimes exaggerated by the Leave campaign. I might have disagreed that we were better of deciding to leave but I might see why someone might choose to vote that way.

And those already set up in their careers who voted Brexit. We're only starting in life and we NEVER even got a say in the bloody referendum because you had to be 18 to vote.

I question the maturity of most 16 or 17 yos. They're mostly not in the least independent, nor have they worked.

Quick Reply

Latest