Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Two passions, twice the contemplation...

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Since being a child I have been intrigued by so many things in our wonderful world. During my 5 years at high school it became a lot clearer that many of interests fall under one field, Geography (politics, history, science etc.). However, there is one exception, which doesn’t fit in and that is technology. The idea of how technology comes together to create wonderful experiences for all kinds of people through software and hardware is something that I find interesting. Alas, came the dilemma, what do I want to do in life? What do I want to contribute? One thing I knew for sure was whatever path I chose, cutting edge research into new and emerging concepts and ideas is where I want to end up. The idea of helping people is something that I have a strong passion for, whether its finding ways to protect our planet, making technology more accessible through machine learning and artificial intelligence or finding ways to close the development gap.

As with most young people, I’ve had people help or make decisions for me (from parents, teachers to friends). Applying to university was different, I felt alone. People gave advice but for the first time I was left to make a decision alone. Circumstances had led to a surprisingly disappointing set of A Levels but I didn’t let it put me down and I made the best of a bad situation. I decided that Computer Science would be the best option for me which would help me lead on to a career in research.

I thought that was it but little did I know that my passion for Geography couldn’t be supressed. After a week of studying a very mundane Computer science course at university, I couldn’t help but peep over at an exceptional Geography department and course. I thought to myself have I made the wrong decision? Today, I guess I ‘conceded’ and switched to Geography. Part of me knew that programming and learning elements of Computer Science can be done independently as a hobby. But for some reason, I still have a weird mixed feeling of regret and frustration. I look over towards friends and other people who seem to have a clear cut path in front of them.

Despite all of this, deep down, I know that the decision I have made will pay off in the long run simply because I’m doing a course that I will enjoy more. But a part of me seems to want some sort of reassurance. Have I closed the doors for a career in computing research? I am fairly certain that I want to follow up my Bachelors degree with a Masters in Computer Science (most Universities offer a course for students from a different discipline). Once I get to that stage I’m hoping that I know what field I want to do research in. Doing a Bachelor and Master degree in those fields, is it still possible to continue down a Computer Science path, by doing a PhD in the future? Likewise, for Geography!

The decisions I make now and in the near future are going to define the rest of my life. I know that is not strictly true but if I am going to be realistic, it is the qualifications that I hold which are going to determine my career opportunities, how I will live my life and contribute to society.

A teacher once told me, no matter what happens in life, the things that will never ever leave you are your education, passions and morals. I try to live by those words, but boy can that be hard sometimes!

Any comments or advice you have will be greatly appreciated! I am also curious, people who have been/are in this situation, what’s your story?
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.