The Student Room Group

How long does it take to be protected after taking Rigevidon?

Hi,

So I went to the doctors today to start using the combined contraceptive pill Rigevidon. It is two days after my period ended and he told me that even if I start using the pill today, I won't be protected until after my next period in 28 days.

I've been reading up online and it says you can start the pill anytime in your cycle and it takes seven days before you are protected.

I am going to see my boyfriend on the 22nd of October which is in over a weeks time, so will I be protected?

If anyone could sort out this confusion that would be superb.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

So I went to the doctors today to start using the combined contraceptive pill Rigevidon. It is two days after my period ended and he told me that even if I start using the pill today, I won't be protected until after my next period in 28 days.

I've been reading up online and it says you can start the pill anytime in your cycle and it takes seven days before you are protected.

I am going to see my boyfriend on the 22nd of October which is in over a weeks time, so will I be protected?

If anyone could sort out this confusion that would be superb.

When I took that pill it was 7 days till you were,double check the leaflet you got with it.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
When I took that pill it was 7 days till you were,double check the leaflet you got with it.

I've read the leafet and it only discusses starting the pill on your period, however on the official NHS website it discusses starting it when you're not and claims to take 7 days. However my doctor said it won't work until my next period. What to believe?!
The leaflet's right - start now and you'll be covered in seven days time.
Reply 4
Original post by unprinted
The leaflet's right - start now and you'll be covered in seven days time.

the leaflet doesn't actually state, just the NHS website
Original post by Anonymous
the leaflet doesn't actually state, just the NHS website

Having looked through an awful lot of small text in the leaflet, no, it doesn't. How odd.

I still go with the NHS site, but if you're worried, ask a pharmacist.

Quick Reply

Latest