The Student Room Group

Would I be at a disadvantage for Computer science?

I take Maths, Economics and Government and Politics. I have recently started to develop a slight interest in the degree but I know that many have chosen physics or chemistry. When applying to RG unis in year 13, would I be at an disadvantage?
Original post by MajorFader
I take Maths, Economics and Government and Politics. I have recently started to develop a slight interest in the degree but I know that many have chosen physics or chemistry. When applying to RG unis in year 13, would I be at an disadvantage?

Yes because students who wish to pursue the degree usually have A-Level Maths Further Maths Physics and Computer Science. Equally it's not impossible ask the university that your interested in.

Not really.

Only disadvantage would be with the likes of Oxbridge/Imperial by not having Further Maths but otherwise Maths is really the only 'mandatory' subject. You certainly don't need computing or physics or whatnot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Princepieman
Not really.

Only disadvantage would be with the likes of Oxbridge/Imperial by not having Further Maths but otherwise Maths is really the only 'mandatory' subject. You certainly don't need computing or physics or whatnot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bump

No need to bump - @Princepieman has your answer. You don't need physics or chemistry (or computing).

As others have said your A levels wont disadvantage you...but as you're not taking comp sci at A level it would be a sensible idea to do some research into what compsci involves.

Have a look into the course content for Computer Science compared to Software Engineering and more practical IT Management type courses (or something like Edinburgh's Informatics). Depending what is attracting you to the subject then one of these other subjects might be a better fit.

Also have a look into summer schools that would give you a chance to work on some projects and find out more about the various options available to you.
Reply 5
I'm studying computer science at uni and have to say you won't really have a disadvantage. Definitely not a big one. For entry they don't even ask for specific A levels, maybe just maths so you're fine with getting into the uni as long as you get good enough grades.

For what you learn at A level and what you actually do at uni, it's always assumed that you have not covered this before so it starts from scratch. For every module the lecturer will cover the basics before moving on. So while some will get it faster as they've covered it before, everyone is put on the same page before moving on.
Reply 6
Original post by Devify
I'm studying computer science at uni and have to say you won't really have a disadvantage. Definitely not a big one. For entry they don't even ask for specific A levels, maybe just maths so you're fine with getting into the uni as long as you get good enough grades.

For what you learn at A level and what you actually do at uni, it's always assumed that you have not covered this before so it starts from scratch. For every module the lecturer will cover the basics before moving on. So while some will get it faster as they've covered it before, everyone is put on the same page before moving on.

What did you study at a level?
Reply 7
What did you study at a level?

I did BTEC IT and A level maths. I have slight advantage to some people because I did programming for a couple of years but basics get covered for every module and we get told sources to look at. Plus if you don't get something there are plenty of lab help and lecture help sessions so you can come in to catch up.
While doing BTEC means I'm good at doing coursework, I have a disadvantage with exams as I haven't really done ones where you need to know definitions and stuff like that for a couple of years.
Reply 8
Original post by Devify
I did BTEC IT and A level maths. I have slight advantage to some people because I did programming for a couple of years but basics get covered for every module and we get told sources to look at. Plus if you don't get something there are plenty of lab help and lecture help sessions so you can come in to catch up.
While doing BTEC means I'm good at doing coursework, I have a disadvantage with exams as I haven't really done ones where you need to know definitions and stuff like that for a couple of years.

What kind of maths is there jn a computer science degree? Is it similar to calculus in a level maths ?
What kind of maths is there jn a computer science degree? Is it similar to calculus in a level maths ?

Depends. But for the most part no, CS maths is mostly logic, discrete maths, probability etc. Some unis might have a few continuous maths modules (I.e. calculus etc), but it varies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most students who apply will have done like Further maths etc, but it really is no disadvantage. You require maths, which you have. So i don't see that being a disadvantage to you, unless you are applying to really competitive and highly ranked unis. then yes that can play a small part.

I think you should be fine!

Quick Reply

Latest