Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Lets leave NATO

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

(Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    So who is in a geographical position to actually invade the UK?

We are an island surrounded by water with nuclear missles, so who is in a position to carry out a successful invasion and occupation of the UK?
    Ummm, France? You know, where most attempted or planned invasions for the last thousand years have come from? How about Scandinavia, fair few attempts from there? Belgium and the Netherlands too, although there they would just be used as a staging area, but they have been the pitstop of Europe for the last century or two.

Oh, and to be honest, if the Americans played their cards right they could probably pull it off, especially if the rabid lefties that shout about how we can't use our nukes without the American's say so are right.

As for Switzerland being more valuable than the UK: absolute hogwash. Switzerland has basically no natural resources, on the other hand the UK has at the very least oil and gas, but also large amounts of coal, a fair bit of gold, tin, but the main ones are the coal, gas, and oil. Then Switzerland is of little strategic importance, they're a mountain plateau in the middle of Europe that has no real interest in fighting so would broadly bend the knee and stay out of things anyway. On the other hand from the UK you can easily control Northern European shipping lanes because not only can you basically control why goes through the channel, but you can also get the northern entrance to the North Sea on lock down too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Let's not. NATO is pretty integral to security. It cannot be compared to the EU in any regard.

(Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Switzerland manages fine outside of NATO.

We got out of the EU like Switzerland and can now get out of NATO.
    While i think that NATO membership is not as important to the UK's defense, i think it's existence is extremely beneficial in hemming Russia and keeping a lot of nations like Turkey outside their sphere.

That said, i could only see the point of leaving NATO if one believed that military action was wrong. I for one find the fact that we are allowing Syrians to be slaughtered to be utterly reprehensible.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.