The Student Room Group

Is doing 4 A-Levels a good idea?

Okay, so, my sixth form open evening was last night and I decided to take 4 a levels. I know only 3 are required for university, but I just cannot decide between the two. I'm beginning to doubt doing 4, because it was more of a spur of the moment thing last night. I'm planning to do biology, chemistry, physics and geography. I'm just stuck between geography and physics really, as I love geography but i'm thinking physics might be useful for studying medicine, considering I'm not taking maths. What does everyone else think? Have you studied 4 a levels? Was it a good idea? My teachers are saying i'm capable but my friends are telling me not to do it!

P.S. I might have a chance to drop one in year 13, depending on if I get the points for it still. I know that I can do AS geography, but I'm going to ask my teacher about physics today, as I don't really want to drop geography - I'd rather drop physics.

Scroll to see replies

Tbh if you choose physics if you are not particularly interested or very good at it you will struggle even with biology and chemistry which means workload .If u are confident in taking physics and think you'll get high grade then chose 4 A levels for me and it does not affect your medicine career as u have biology and chemistry and any physics you need you'll be taught in uni I also want to study medicine :smile: for me I chose 2 sciences , maths with this 3 i will die in A level so I chose. An funner less stress a level which many say is sociology if I change my mind I'll do art
Original post by Abbie131
Okay, so, my sixth form open evening was last night and I decided to take 4 a levels. I know only 3 are required for university, but I just cannot decide between the two. I'm beginning to doubt doing 4, because it was more of a spur of the moment thing last night. I'm planning to do biology, chemistry, physics and geography. I'm just stuck between geography and physics really, as I love geography but i'm thinking physics might be useful for studying medicine, considering I'm not taking maths. What does everyone else think? Have you studied 4 a levels? Was it a good idea? My teachers are saying i'm capable but my friends are telling me not to do it!

P.S. I might have a chance to drop one in year 13, depending on if I get the points for it still. I know that I can do AS geography, but I'm going to ask my teacher about physics today, as I don't really want to drop geography - I'd rather drop physics.

If your not interested in either Geography or Physics you will have to take it for the rest of the year and deal with the work. Better to choose 3 if your not really interested in your last choice.
Physics requires a lot of maths, as does chemistry - I'm surprised you didn't take it as it may cause problems.

See how things go for the first few months, find what you specifically need/will be beneficial to the course you want. Taking a subject just for fun may not end well. I did that with History AS, got a C and was planning on carrying on with it as a 5th A2 but was convinced not to by my maths teacher. At AS it's fine, but A2 is a whole other ballgame.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I took four and while I think it's perfectly feasible for any intelligent person to manage the workload of 4 A levels I think if you're really wanting top grades (which you will be for medicine) then you're much better off focusing your efforts. I took 4 4 A levels and got A*A*BB... both B's were a fraction off being an A and I missed my offer (AAA) as a result and was quite frustrated as I felt (and still do think) that if I'd done three and spent a little more time on them I'd probably have got those extra 2 marks and got the last A. There's also not much point in putting extra stress on yourself if it's unnecessary and for medicine your time would be better spent getting some relevant work experience.

If,you have all your volunteering and work experience and extra curricular lectures and personal statement out of the way, then why not go for it.
Reply 6
Thanks everyone, I think I'll stick with biology, chemistry and geography. :smile:
Thanks everyone, I think I'll stick with biology, chemistry and geography. :smile:

It will boost your application doing four A-levels. If you are in AS now just do It to AS and if u don't want to carry one drop it. It'll boost your application and if you can get a good grade then do it. Physics won't help as in a subject apart from a few universities as they want extra science so Incase you don't get an A in bio or Chem then you can cover it with physics. Other than that if you don't want to do it or find any interest in it leave it out.
In my opinion, YES, you are making the correct decision. My school's career officer explained to my class that if you take 4, you are giving yourself room to drop one in year 13 if you are not doing too well in it in comparison to the others but if you only start with 3 subjects, you have no wiggle room and if you're finding one of those subjects particularly difficult, then your only options are to either retake year 12 or fail that subject. And it is most preferable to finish with 3 complete A levels. So I'd say take 4, you should be allowed to drop physics at the end of year 12/beginning of yr 13, if that's what you wish.
Is it no longer a requirement to do at least 4 to at least AS level?
Original post by ViralRiver

Yes, the syllabi are much tougher now, so they expect less for that reason.
Geography just became really tough.
Original post by Theplace
Yes, the syllabi are much tougher now, so they expect less for that reason.
Geography just became really tough.

Don't think it's because it's tougher as the reforms are supposed to be better but actually it's the fact that AS levels don't count anymore for some subjects and so they don't take four AS as they have to carry to A2. Other than that it's always been normal to do 3 A2s

I am doing 4 AS levels and will then drop one at AS so I at least have a stand alone AS qualification in one and will carry on the other 3 to A2. I am also doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and also Maths (I suggest you take). Physics is a highly Mathematical A level and you would struggle without Maths A level. You do not need Physics for Medicine you need Chemistry and Biology would be a good one to take. Chemistry, Biology and Geography would be perfectly acceptable for Medicine but it is a highly competitive degree where most would be taking at least 4 AS levels if not 5.

I personally feel four AS levels are quite a big workload but can be managed if you utilize your time properley.
Reply 13

Correct.
Original post by YouHaveProblems
Don't think it's because it's tougher as the reforms are supposed to be better but actually it's the fact that AS levels don't count anymore for some subjects and so they don't take four AS as they have to carry to A2. Other than that it's always been normal to do 3 A2s

Take a look at the geography syllabus.
Original post by Theplace
Take a look at the geography syllabus.

Are you referring to difficulty or able to take AS
Original post by Tinka99
I am doing 4 AS levels and will then drop one at AS so I at least have a stand alone AS qualification in one and will carry on the other 3 to A2. I am also doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and also Maths (I suggest you take). Physics is a highly Mathematical A level and you would struggle without Maths A level. You do not need Physics for Medicine you need Chemistry and Biology would be a good one to take. Chemistry, Biology and Geography would be perfectly acceptable for Medicine but it is a highly competitive degree where most would be taking at least 4 AS levels if not 5.

I personally feel four AS levels are quite a big workload but can be managed if you utilize your time properley.

Most don't take Four, you can't assume that. The requirements are for three A2 that's all.
You don't need maths for Alevel physics, only thing that overlaps is mechanics and that's if you choose mechanics anyway and also physics helps with maths in that regard as the maths is taught at a higher level in physics than mechanics at respective points: phys 2(AS) teaches projectiles in mechanics which is taught in mechanics 2(A2)
Original post by jneill
Correct.

Hmm, very weird. My brother is taking his AS levels now and has been told nothing different to me those 7 years ago.. Will see if I can make his life easier.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Reply 18
Hmm, very weird. My brother is taking his AS levels now and has been told nothing different to me those 7 years ago.. Will see if I can make his life easier.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Some schools are continuing to offer 4 AS-levels (but increasingly rarely due to the A-level reforms) but all universities have dropped the requirement.

It's still common for medics to do 4 (but not a requirement), and also many doing Further Maths A-level will also do 4 (but again it's not a requirement).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
I did ask my teacher about dropping physics in year 13 today and he said i may be able to do so, as that would be the AS i want to do. But yeah, I have to wait until monday to ask someone properly, as he was unsure and said i should check with someone else. He did say it was possible though. As for work experience and stuff that people mentioned, i currently volunteer with a charity (planning and hosting community events) anyway because I had to for my DofE and I just carried on. As for work experience, my dad got me in at the doctors' office and I just have to choose when I want to do it, probably this time next year.

Quick Reply

Latest