The Student Room Group

Will my EPQ title affect my Oxford Application??

Hi,

So I'm currently finalising my EPQ title and it currently is" Does ethnicity affect Oxbridge Ambition?", and I'm planning on looking at this asking does the rumours about Oxford being "white, middleclass, full of Students from Eton " affect people from ethnic minorities from even applying. I'm not trying to look into whether or not Oxford is institutionally racist or anything along them lines.

I want to apply for Oxford next year to do either PPE or Law, does anyone think that doing this title would negatively affect my application?
Many thanks in advance: D
Reply 1
Original post by aidenj
Hi,

So I'm currently finalising my EPQ title and it currently is" Does ethnicity affect Oxbridge Ambition?", and I'm planning on looking at this asking does the rumours about Oxford being "white, middleclass, full of Students from Eton " affect people from ethnic minorities from even applying. I'm not trying to look into whether or not Oxford is institutionally racist or anything along them lines.

I want to apply for Oxford next year to do either PPE or Law, does anyone think that doing this title would negatively affect my application?

It won't, however are you sure you'll have enough to write about? How about something broader like access to higher education with various socioeconomic conditions?
Original post by aidenj
Hi,

That should be fine but I'd recommend you get in touch with both Oxford and Cambridge outreach departments to talk about your EPQ - they're likely to have all sorts of research and data they can point you at to help your project
I think that would be fine - I don't think they're particularly touchy or anything about such questions!
Reply 4
It should be fine but maybe in your personal statement explain what you found from doing your EPQ if possible? Like you could go into detail and emphasise how they are trying to make it more inclusive (so long as you find it to be true) - this might ensure that it is looked upon positively

Quick Reply

Latest