The Student Room Group

effect of parasympathomimetic, parasympatholytic ans sympathomimetic drugs

hiya guys can anyone please tell me the effect of:-
- parasympathomimetic drugs on the heart, intestines and bladder, eye and salivary and sweat glands.
- anticholinesterases on the eye, intestines and bladder
-atropine like/parasympatholytic on bronchi, intestines and urinary tract and eye.
-sympathomimetic drugs on bronchi, eye blood vessels, nose blood vessels.
-sympathetic antagonists on the heart and blood vessels.

i dont need to know the clinical uses i just need to know a quick outline on what they do.
I don't think people mind giving advice on here, but most people draw the line at doing your homework for you
Reply 2
You do relise that those five questions can be basically simplified to :
What effects does sympathometics and parasympathomietics have on different parts of the body, and as the above poster says do your own homework.
Reply 3
its not homework. I found a gap in my lecture notes and i dont have access to my uni library because i'm at home! can you at least tell me a website or something as to where i can look up the effects of each of those drugs. And no, I dont realise that my question can be simplified to that question because everything that i'm learning is new to me. Its not an essay I have to write - its just filling up a table.
Reply 4
BNF or Merck manual both online. You will have to find an example of each type and look up the side effects- they are pretty generalised, e.g. parasympatholytic- anticholinergics- i.e. antagonise the acetylcholine using parasympathetic nervous system. The antidepressants and antihistamines generally have these as side effects. Also just think about what the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems do from your physiology notes. If the drugs activate or antagonise these systems that's what side effects they will cause. Now buzz off and do it.

Latest

Trending

Trending