Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you think about car drivers giving lifts.. How do I handle this situation.

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

I always give a woman who doesn't drive a lift home from my sports club. I offered at first about a year and half ago but it's become a regular thing twice a week. She is the one who locks up which means I usually wait for her then drive about a mile out of my way (approximately, I'm no good at estimating distance!) to drop her off. The thing is it goes dark early now and she has to walk down a dark path (a cut through) to get home so by leaving her I feel like I'm putting her at risk, like if she got attacked it will be because I didn't drive her home! Her husband very occasionally picks her up but they have relationship problems, he's not always available and he is used to not picking her up now. Apparently according to her he thinks I'm weird anyway because I don't bother with boyfriends/relationships and when I did see someone he was double my age lol, it's just how I am though.

I find it a bit of a chore though waiting around for her at the club and then dropping her off. Last week we arranged to go to a evening sports event together and because it was in the city (and I didn't want to be driving through rush hour traffic/hate driving when I'm lost) I wanted to catch the bus. She text me saying that driving would be better as she once got lost in the city catching buses and it was a nightmare etc. So I gave in and drove there, giving 2 other people we saw who we knew there a lift back home too! A young lad on my course at uni has also said I could give him a lift to uni in the morning as he lives in the town next to mine. I told him it takes an hour and half in traffic about the same time as the bus but he said he preferes cars, I didn't say anything. He wants to go to a sports class with me (which I'd like to do) but again I'm afraid of the whole giving a lift thing starting, us getting more familiar and then him wanting a lift to uni. I don't mind giving one off lifts I like helping people but I prefere driving on my own it means I can chill out more/listen to music/sing along lol rather than having to talk which drains my energy. I find it almost impossible to say no to people and sometimes end up making excuse

How do most people deal with this?

I've got around it by having a car that breaks down all the time, but I'm not sure that the advantages of this solution outweigh the disadvantages.
    Have you tried explaining that fuel is too expensive or claiming that you're not happy driving after dark unless it's really needed?

It's your car, and you shouldn't have to be designated driver all the time. Perhaps you just need to be a bit more assertive (I find this sort of situation hard too, if it's any sort of consolation)?

Also, a good rule of thumb could be that if you're not planning to drive anyway, you won't drive for somebody else without a very good excuse? That might help cut back on the amount of time you take driving, at least.

Honestly, you need to toughen up and say no.
    Alternatively, as for petrol money. Cars aren't cheap, and even if they live with you the car still has more costs over petrol. Just say you can't afford to drive, unless they pay the petrol cost over a bus ride. If you want to bus, do it. Say to yourself that's what you WILL do.
    Their being wimps is irrelevant and not your problem. I don't like buses but I would never force someone to drive me constantly, it's my issue!
    Make excuses if you need to. They'll hopefully get the hint.

You just sound like you are being taken advantage of , too nice and a bit fo a doormat.
    Just learn to say no. You dont have to justify yourself, but you can say its time consuming , too many people are asking and you have other commitments. the young lad on your course is just having a laygh. NO, NO, NO.

Assertiveness training is what you need and that cna prove useful in the future if people try and manipulate you.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.