The Student Room Group

Ched Evans cleared of rape in retrial

I think the media owes him an apology.

Super Ched Evannsss

Scroll to see replies

I still wouldn't say he's exactly a role model as he blatantly cheated on his girlfriend while on a night out. But, that alone isn't a crime and it is good to see that it isn't rape just because the girl regrets intercourse the next day.
Reply 2
It was a really dangerous conviction in the first place and I agree with this decision.

He has been found not guilty but whether it was rape or not the truth is nobody will ever known and anyone who says he is guilty and should still be in jail isn't approaching the situation from a innocent until proven guilty standpoint that the law is built upon.
Reply 3
Original post by Tempest II
I still wouldn't say he's exactly a role model as he blatantly cheated on his girlfriend while on a night out. But, that alone isn't a crime and it is good to see that it isn't rape just because the girl regrets intercourse the next day.

From what I have heard it wasn't even the girl who wanted to push the case it was the police or prosecutor.
Reply 4
His life's pretty much been ruined now by those allegations, sad
Original post by Trapz99

This

guy was the best player in league 1 and a welsh international, he was only able to fight the case because his GFs dad paid for legal fees.

Original post by joecphillips
From what I have heard it wasn't even the girl who wanted to push the case it was the police or prosecutor.

She didn't even claim rape lol, the court system is just F'd
Tbh it makes a total mockery of our legal system.
Reply 7
shame he's never getting the three years of his career he lost back.
So after all this garbage, he was innocent?!
I bet all those people who bashed and berated him for trying to get on with his life will be silent despite owing him a huge apology. Cue the claims the court made the wrong decision from people with no knowledge of the legal system

Posted from TSR Mobile
It was a witch hunt from the start.
Reply 11
It's foolish of people who are totally unqualified to be saying they 'agree' or 'disagree' with the decision

What I don't understand is why he was originally found guilty of rape due to the woman being too drunk to consent when McDonald, who had sex with her at the same time, was cleared.

I also don't understand why people accused of rape are not given full anonymity and even why they are jailed at all in such circumstances until the appeal process has been completely exhausted as he has now suffered enormous damage to his reputation and professional prospects
(edited 7 years ago)
Do you reckon he'll resume his football career, or is it too late for that?
Original post by Joel 96
Do you reckon he'll resume his football career, or is it too late for that?

He's already playing. Been banging in the goals this season.
Original post by Wilfred Little
He's already playing. Been banging in the goals this season.

Oh wow. Had no idea.
Original post by James.Carnell
I think the media owes him an apology.

Super Ched Evannsss

The whole thing seemed like rubbish from the start. It's pretty horrible what has been done to him. He was demonised as someone so evil, so poisonous, and now look. But people won't care, the people who condemned him won't shout nearly as loud about him being innocent as they did about him being a psychopathic woman-hating rapist. They don't care that they destroyed his life. I'm sure they'd rather him go to prison even if they somehow knew he was innocent, just to suit their agenda.
Original post by Trapz99

I know!! It will take him ages to get a good reputation now!! :frown:
Original post by Fenice
It's foolish of people who are totally unqualified to be saying they 'agree' or 'disagree' with the decision

What I don't understand is why he was originally found guilty of rape due to the woman being too drunk to consent when McDonald, who had sex with her at the same time, was cleared.

I also don't understand why people accused of rape are not given full anonymity and even why they are jailed at all in such circumstances until the appeal process has been completely exhausted as he has now suffered enormous damage to his reputation and professional prospects

The idea is that it will encourage other victims (if there are any) to come forward. It worked with Jimmy Saville. However, it's pretty horribly unfair for the defendant.
Original post by Fenice

* I also don't understand why people accused of rape are not given full anonymity and even why they are jailed at all in such circumstances until the appeal process has been completely exhausted as he has now suffered enormous damage to his reputation and professional prospects

The argument in favour is that often people who have committed sexual assaults, tend to do it more than once. Especially with celebrities such as Saville and Harris.

If their is publicity it encourages victims to step forward, who may previously have been too scared to. It certainly worked in the two aforementioned cases.

I'm not saying that there should or should not be anonymity but that's the argument for it.*
Original post by KingBradly
The idea is that it will encourage other victims (if there are any) to come forward. It worked with Jimmy Saville. However, it's pretty horribly unfair for the defendant.

It's a really tough issue.

On one hand it can and has encouraged victims to step forward but on the other it can destroy the life of someone who is found not guilty.

There's simply no easy answer, both sides of the argument are valid.*

Quick Reply