The Student Room Group

Choosing A level Options

Scroll to see replies

Also I don't know if this is helpful but I got an A* in both biology and chemistry at GCSE and then an A in AS Biology and a C in Chemistry. I'm planning to resit chemistry though. I definitely think Chem is my hardest A level. But not impossible.
Original post by VickiL867
Omw, there are hardly any Northern Irish people on here! Well, biology coursework is really tedious, you could spend ages on it and still not feel like you've covered everything but I think you might be doing the new spec, which means you won't have to do this and you also wont have to do the nasty ecology topic! Seriously though, I would recommend biology, I got an A in it, at AS, coming from Double Award background and I found it relatively easy to keep up with and understand during the year. The continuous prose questions are probably the hardest part and taking what you've learned and apply it to what the questions asking. Sometimes you could have the right answer but not have used the exact words that are in the mark scheme so you get the question wrong! Its a bit annoying. With chemistry, I found unit 1 relatively easy, have you done any titrations at GCSE? They're an important part of the Unit 3 practical. Also, a piece of advice : REVISE EVERYTHING for the theory paper of the practical. Seriously. I only looked over a couple of experiments because it was well before my other exams started and practically everything practical from unit 1 and 2 came up. Nightmare. Unit 2 was a lot harder. There's just so much content to learn for chemistry and if you don't understand it, you should definitely ask straight away and get it sorted because leaving it to the last minute got me a C at AS. The calculations were quite hard for me, but if you're wanting to do maths, I'd say that would probably help you. The start of Year 14, so far has been a lot easier in chemistry than last years stuff. I don't know if it was the leap from GCSE to AS or if I'm just better at chemistry now! And biology this year has been interesting so far. This year we've studied things like the kidneys, the eye and how plants flower. I hope this was a bit more helpful. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Thank youu. No, we haven't covered titrations yet but I will ask my chemistry teacher. Yes I am sitting the new spec papers but the content isn't much different apparently. But that practical theory paper sounds quite difficult. Chemistry sounds like it needs consistent work thoughout the year- something I aim to do. Thanks for the help and I will ask any questions when I have them☺️☺️☺️👍🏻+ well done in your AS exams keep up the great work!
Original post by nomophobia
As long as you genuinely have an interest for each of your subjects and you find them fairly easy at GCSE level- you should be fine. I do Bio Chem and Maths and last year I did history - the workload is a bit for bio but isn't difficult unlike chem where you have to really wrap your head around the concepts but not much workload. Maths at AS is super easy but at a2 is a different story. I know nothing about Business sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the information. Don't worry, I'm mainly asking about sciences and maths anyway so your reply was very helpful☺️
Original post by chemistrynerd13
Thank youu. No, we haven't covered titrations yet but I will ask my chemistry teacher. Yes I am sitting the new spec papers but the content isn't much different apparently. But that practical theory paper sounds quite difficult. Chemistry sounds like it needs consistent work thoughout the year- something I aim to do. Thanks for the help and I will ask any questions when I have them☺️☺️☺️👍🏻+ well done in your AS exams keep up the great work!

No problem! Yeah, I would recommend constant work! Thank you, good luck in your exams 😊
Next year not this year***

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending